sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Car won't start. Code error on the radio display. Does not

Customer Question

Car won't start. Code error on the radio display. Does not recognise key. Mechanic has looked at it, engine ok, timing belt ok etc. 2 fuseboards were blown. Replaced them and still nothing. It now recognises the key but it just wont start the engine
Assistant: Has the battery been recently disconnected? Have you checked the manual or the glove box for the radio code?
Customer: Battery is ok. Did not find the radio code. What happened first off was I treid to start the engine, it didn't, so tried it again and nothing since
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: It is a 2001 Delta 1.4 Multijet 145bhp
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2011
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a mechanic working on it, he has tried everything but still nothing
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, did the mechanic check the fuel pump? Also i would like to know if all the lights and stereo are working as usual?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure about the fuel pump. The electrics are working but the car just won't turn over. I will be with the mechanic later and I can give you more information
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was just with the mechanic. he has put in a new battery checked the solinoid etc. the key is working as is the ignition but the engine will still not turnover. there is some fault between the ignition and firing the engine. the ECU is also ok. new fuses have also been put in
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
car has fuel and the fuel pump is also ok

Dear customer, I understand the first thing that comes to my mind as i am not with the vehicle is that it could have burned or disconnected the fuse of the immobilizer system, what happens is that when this type of fuse is touched or damaged the computer of the the vehicle may think it is being stolen by a bypass which causes it to activate the immobilizer system for safety.

First, i want to explain how your immobilizer system work

The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.

When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a short circuit.

Primero permíteme indicarte como funciona el sistema inmovilizador.

El inmovilizador electrónico protege tu vehículo mediante un código electrónico integrado en la llave (no necesariamente por medio del chip). Este está compuesto por un código personal invariable y un segundo código que el inmovilizador modifica cada vez que se arranca el motor.

In your case dear customer, we can have a problem with the coding between the immobilizer module and the coding of the key or barrel causing the vehicle does not pass the start by having the immobilizer activated.

Solve this is not very complicated dear customer, Only requires a key programmer to re-code the immobilizer with the set of keys you present and with the cylinder/barrel system.

This equipment is not generally owned by mechanics, but it is owned by locksmith companies that are in charge of opening vehicles, cutting car keys, and programming keys and key fobs. This is the kind of company that you must contact to solve your inconvenience.

It does not mean that you can only have a problem in the immobilizer system. I will recommend you to check the fuses but not in the way they normally do but locate a tester and check from that equipment if there is continuity in each one of the ends/tips of the fuses, in this way we will know if they are ok. Many times, even though the fuses are good when reconnecting them we let then loose or the connector, are damage or loose as well, causing that there is no communication with the fuse and this causes this type of problems, the only way to determine if they are really working correctly the passage of current of the fuses is to determine it by means of an electric tester, I am also going to recommend that you locate the manual of your car and look if the manual have the fuses and relays diagram, if you do not have it, in the cover of the fuse boxes should be a sticker with the legend with the location of the fuses and what system they belong.
Locate the fuses related to the starter system, fuel pump, immobilizer. Many of them are relays and verify that these are in good condition and also that they have their correct connections.

Anyway dear customer, the check of the fuses is the first step but it is not a bad idea to perform a computerized diagnostics to know if simply when disconnecting fuses no error code was generated and it is causing this inconvenience, because determinating from my position is very complicated, but it can make you these recommendations to help you locate the root of the problem and sort it out.
have you understood me dear customer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have found out that it is an issue with the fuse board relating to the ignition. It looks like it got wet somehow. The fuse board is a Magneti Marelli 503440830200. There are none here in Ireland. Do you know where I could get one?
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer, you can check for the fuse box in ebay, generally ninfoundnparts there, I you wish I also could try to help you nlocate the part in others sites as well.