Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  IBEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I just purchased a 1950 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup with 4 on the

Customer Question

I just purchased a 1950 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup with 4 on the floor. Im having a hard time
down shifting getting it into gear. Is it necessary to double clutch or could it be some other
problem? What other options would I have to take to avoid double clutch like possibly
put in more modern shift kit or what ever?
Thanks Don
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.

double de-clutching is a fairly normal requirement for a vehicle of this age

but you can really help matters by switching to a modern gearbox oil

I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known ithelp with shift issues on many manual gearboxes

Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.