Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Just bought an HP Laptop Windows 10 but everytime I turn on

Just bought an HP Laptop Windows 10 but everytime I turn on I get a blank screen. The only way I can get to my desktop is by pressing control, alt and delete. Then it allows me to sign in and get to my desktop.
Hi there and welcomeCan you please remove the battery and power cable and then hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.Then connect the battery and power cable and tell me if it now starts correctly please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already done this and it does not work
Which mode Laptop is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just checking. I will not phone as I have just paid £29.
No need to phone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its an HP notebook Serial no CDD6051PRS
ok, thats the serial, can I have the Model please?
are you able to get this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model number is ***** Hope this is correct as type very small
ThanksPower it off.Then power it on and keep tapping F10 until you get to the recovery managerAre you able to get to this?'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea thanks. Will now try.
ok, now follow the steps to do a Factory Restore.Let this complete and tell me how it then operates please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not doing anything. However when I turned it back on the desktop showed without logging in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I'm at my desktop
ok, it was not powered off.Power it off completly then do the instructions please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have to wait until it's on completely before pressing F10 a few times
no, as soon as you start it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank
let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've now got Security system configuration
what options do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
F1 help f5/6 Change Values f9 setup defaults. Up and down keys for select item or select menu. Enter select submenu
Power off the computer.Power it on and get it to the desktop.Tell me when your there please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I think it will be easier
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard my computer now says "The following configuration change was requested for this computer's Trusted Platform Module (TPM):Warning: Clearing the TPM erases information stored on the TPM. You will lose all created keys and access to data encrypted by these keys. Do I accept?
yes please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok ta
your welcome
Hi there and welcomeDid it just start doing this to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is now re installing Windows.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fingers crossed when finished. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's been on 59% for the last 30 minutes or more is that normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No worries continuing now.
yes it will be ok unless it gives an error
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is still going. Is this last process a long one? Has turned on and off many times but still running.
It has taken quite some time Christine, longer then expected... but we need to let it continue, best to leave it overnight if needed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that's fine. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Morning Richard. Computer still installing. Keeps going to 64% up to 67% then switches off and on. This happens a few times. Then goes to 93% up to either 94 or 97%. Then back to 64% up to 67. Been doing this all night!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still the same. I have to go out now. It looks like I may have to take the laptop back to PC World. It should have done it by my? I have left it. Will be about 1 1/2 hours.
There is a hardware fault with it Christine, this confirms it. You will need to return it sorry, but they will replace it for you under warranty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for all your help. Nearly put a kiss on the end. That would have been embarrassing!