John, Computer Hardware Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.

My Work desktop PC (Windows7, Office2013) ground to a halt

My Work desktop PC (Windows7, Office2013) ground to a halt yesterday. I went to reboot and it started to update to Windows 10. That was 18 hours ago and the little white dots are still chasing each other in a circle.
what is wrong and what can I do about it please?
I'm REEAALLLY stuck as I can't access any of my work and absolutely need to do so this morning. HELP PLEASE?!?

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.

let me know when you are ready to start.

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John, hope that you are my saviour!?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI, ok LET'S TRY TO TALK IT THROUGH. Oops. sorry about caps lock

Sir it seems like you have requested for remote support but in your case i cannot access your PC because it not booting to windows but we can continue in this chat page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's do that

Just to clarify the windows update is being going on for more than 18 hrs continuously am i correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
although I wondered at about 0700 today if it had just locked up, powered down, then poewered up again and the dots were stil lgoing round

Press and hold the power button for 3 to 5 seconds that will forcefully shut down the PC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, it's off now

Now disconnect all USB devices except mouse and keyboard

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK have done that now

Now turn on the PC again and see if its booting to windows or showing you any recovery/advanced options ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell logo, Windows logo, restoring your previous version of Windows... white dots

OK good so there is some improvement because previously it was stuck in windows updating and configuring now its restoring previous version am i correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's waht it's telling me, so hopefully these are positive signs. thanks :)

You are welcome.Let it run the restoring process,it might take some time let say 10 to 15 min

Please let me know the status.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK John, I'll keep this window open and let you know. Thank you

You are welcome and i will be right here too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have the blue Windows logo, still with dots... and now my welcome screen!

Good when it shows login screen please login and then check it and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now the Desktop screen

Good now shut down the PC normally and wait for 2 min then power it back and see if its working fine,Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it had been running slowly in days and weeks leading to this. I do run Piriform CCleaner, but put it down to the WinZip Malware detector which seems to crawl all over every file or package I open?

I suggest you remove the winzip malware detector because its not a good anti-malware app.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I installed it because I was being told that our FTP site was mailing spam somehow?

OK If you want another anti-malware app you can use malwarebytes antimalware which you can obtain using this link : -

Also when it comes to spam emails its not totally up to security programs.There is a part the user also had to do which is if you see any spam or suspicious emails do not open any web links or images in it that is how the security threat emerges.

Did you shutdown the PC and reboot after 2 min to see if its working properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying that now

OK let me know the result.

Is it still rebooting ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK John. We seem to be A-OK again.
Very good support.
Thanks again, you are a life-saver. Back to work!

Glad to know that.

Please rate me using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks. Do I get the transcript of this chat sent to me please?

You have all these conversation in your email from justanswer.