How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess M. Your Own Question
Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Category: Computer Hardware
Satisfied Customers: 7741
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
Type Your Computer Hardware Question Here...
Jess M. is online now

I will soon be travelling in Japan which has lower voltage

This answer was rated:

I will soon be travelling in Japan which has lower voltage than here, I have an adapter but cannot find need to know whether the input range of the Surface charger is wide enough to accommodate an ordinary international adapter without special voltage adjuster.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. I believe voltage rating there is 110 as compared to the 220 that you could be using. However, most adapters for laptops and other electronic devices are rated or designed to work for 100V to 240V. This means that you can directly plug it there in Japan without any need of special voltage adjuster.

So please verify it there with your Surface adapter. In the adapter assembly, you can find a rectangular box where power cable is connected. Please see the voltage rating. If you see 100V to 240V there in the labels, it means you are safe to plug it to the wall socket of 110V.

Here is a sample Surface power adapter. Zoom in the picture and you will see there the INPUT as 100-240V. If you see that same voltage or input rating in your power adapter there, then you can plug it there in Japan without need of voltage regulator.

I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I sent a follow up question to which I received no reply so I have not rated you yet as your first answer did not help me. I am also experiencing some problems with my phone line /broadband so occasionally lose contact hence delay in replying. . I have no rectangular adapter, just a cable from computer to power socket on which I cannot read any such info. I have a ordinary World Travel type adapter marked up for US Europe, UK etc. Japan works on 100v, 50-60Hz according to my guidebook.

Hi Evelyn,

I am very sorry if the answer I gave you did not help you. Please clarify: are you using Microsoft Surface Pro? I am asking because that device does not connect directly to the wall socket, it has a power supply that converts wall electricity (AC) to DC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. It is a Surface 2, purchased 2014.

Surface 2 has a non-removable battery and that means that it is not plugged in directly to be powered by AC but DC through the battery. And the adapter that converts AC to DC is the rectangular box I described and this adapter can take 100 - 240V. If there is no adapter of your power cable, that is, if you connect the cable directly to the Surface 2 and then to the wall outlet, I believe the AC converter assembly is built in as well.

Can you please take a picture of your power cable and HOW it is connected to the Surface 2?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Image attached.. There are lots of symbols on the electrical plugs but they are so small and crowded that I cannot decipher them even with a magnifying glass.

Thank you for writing back with that important picture. Indeed, you are using a power adapter/charger. The only difference with the one I originally described is that, your rectangular box (where the AC to DC conversion takes places) is where the plug is! That rectangular object you used to plug into the wall socket is the charger/adapter and I am 100% sure that it has a rated INPUT of 100 to 240V because that is a standard manufacturer's assembly. That is, it will surely work when you are in Japan where wall sockets are 110V.

Jess M. and 4 other Computer Hardware Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much indeed for the trouble you have taken. Relief