Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I need to use a Win7 laptop to print on an HP DeskJet 2542.

I need to use a Win7 laptop to print on an HP DeskJet 2542. As I understand it, the Deskjet produces its own WiFi output, and the laptop is connected to a Home/Office network via a Netgear access point. The laptop obtains documents from the Cloud (in this case M'soft OneDrive or DropBox). Currently, to print a document I open it from the Cloud, then switch to the printer's WiFi. This works fine, but it's clumsy. Is there a way of configuring the hardware to print without having to switch WiFi networks?

Hi there and welcome

Do you have a wifi network available there at your location?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there are 3, and moving around the property, laptops, both Mac and PC, latch on to the strongest signal.

Put the installation disk in for the printer, then run the installation and you can then choose to connect it to your wifi network.

Once done, you can then print wirelessly to it.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately no installation disk. So, this means that the printer connects to the WiFi network, and that I'm not connecting to its WiFi network? That's what I've been doing so far - logging in to its WiFi network. Or have I got that wrong?

No, you are connecting to its own wifi network which is why you disconnect from yours.

You can download the full installation for this though from my link below

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-2540-all-in-one-printer-series/5295960/model/5385253

Which is effectively the disk.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, thanks, I'll give it a go and report back.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need another day, Richard. Apologies for the delay.

Ok,, please let me know how you go

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Apologies for the delay in setting this up. I've followed your instructions, and the Win7 laptop connects successfully to the printer. Many thanks for your help.