Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I'm after the easiest/most practical/cheapest way to share a

Hi, I'm after the easiest/most practical/cheapest way to share a dual monitor set up (and keyboard and mouse) across 2 desktop PC's.
I've done the smallest amount of research (via Google) but it seems all dedicated KVMs to do this are around the £200 mark. Surely there must be a cheaper way? Any ideas?

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. So you have 2 regular computers, and you want to use 1 monitor, 1 keyboard and 1 mouse and just switch between computers?
  2. Or do you want to have 2 monitors but 1 keyboard and 1 mouse?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess. To clarify; I'd like to share 2 monitors but single keyboard and mouse across 2 desktop computers. Thanks

So you want EACH computer to be dual-monitor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I'm trying to do, yes.

Thank you for that confirmation. Can you please tell me what are the output/input interface of your 2 monitors there? (HDMI, VGA, DVI, etc)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both are VGA output
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
input (!)

Ok thanks....

Can you please check and confirm if your monitors support DVI or HDMI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure - so 1 has VGA and HDMI...the other has VGA and DVI

Thank you for that confirmation. Since the common port or interface is VGA, I suggest using a VGA type KVM too.

Here is the link for the device that you need:

https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1742/

It's price based on the manufacturer's website is $187.95.

It is available in NewEgg.com and it costs even cheaper. Here is the link:

https://www.newegg.com/iogear-gcs1742-d-sub-usb/p/N82E16817107455

This is the link for the NewEgg.com UK version:

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/iogear-gcs1742-d-sub-usb/p/N82E16817107455?Item=N82E16817107455

Please check the pictures of the devices and you can see that the pictures in NewEgg.com are exactly the same with the pictures in the manufacturer's website. Thus they are the SAME product.

To summarize, this KVMP device allows you to connect 2 VGA monitors (dual-view or dual-monitor) and 1 keyboard and 1 mouse to 2 PCs.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jess. That's really great. Thanks for all your efforts. That information really helps!

You're welcome and I am glad I was able to help. Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess