K Dismas
K Dismas,
Experience:  CEO at Michel Jean Lahoylahoy Rodulfa
104540271

I am looking to buy a HP Z620 workstation with dual Xeon

Hello,I am looking to buy a HP Z620 workstation with dual Xeon E5-2690 processors. The motherboard has 8 memory slots for CPU 0 and the second CPU riser board has 4 memory slots. I need to populate all memory channels in both processors with equal amounts of memory. The workstation is currently being offered with 8 x 8GB (64GB) for CPU 0 and 4 x 16GB (64GB) for CPU 1. I wanted to ask if this is better than having all 12 modules of 8 GB or 16 GB each?

Hello my name is Kent from JustAnswer,

I am really sorry for the trouble you are facing in right now

But I'm here and happy to assist you today.

8GB of RAM is the sweet spot for the majority of users, providing enough RAM for virtually all productivity tasks and less demanding games.

If you’re running demanding applications like video editing and CAD, or you’re a hardcore gamer, then it is recommend that you start at 16GB and go up from there.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you Kent for your help.

I require all memory channels in both processors to have equal amounts of memory. The workstation has currently got 8 modules of 8GB (64GB) for CPU 0 and 4 modules of 16GB (64GB) for CPU 1. Does this provide balance?

You're welcome, Yes there is no problem with that. It will still work balance.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks again Kent.

I have one final question.

According to you, which configuration is better?

1. 8 modules of 8 GB (64 GB) for CPU 0 and 4 modules of 16 GB (64 GB) for CPU 1? Here, CPU 0 has equal RAM in total as CPU 1.

OR

2. 8 modules of 16 GB (128 GB) for CPU 0 and 4 modules of 16 GB (64 GB) for CPU 1? Here, all 12 modules have 16 GB, but CPU 0 has more RAM in total than CPU 1.

Number 2 is better configuration, More ram better performance.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Pardon my ignorance, but in that situation CPU 1 will have less RAM than CPU 0 because CPU 1 has only 4 memory slots while CPU 0 has 8 memory slots. Will this be a problem?

I need the workstation for numerical simulations (computational fluid dynamics) and am trying to understand the recommendations given in the attached document on page 5. I'll be really grateful if you could provide any comments.

I'm sorry for my earlier reply, I've mistakenly read your message. Let me correct my answer

Performance is maximized if you balance the amount of ram across each CPU's.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No problem Kent.

So should I go for Number 1, i.e., 8 modules of 8 GB (64 GB) for CPU 0 and 4 modules of 16 GB (64 GB) for CPU 1 ??

Yes you should go for option #1.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
ok great, thank you!

You're welcome, Have a great day.
And thanks for choosing us as your advisory partner.