Mian-Wisal Ahmad
Mian-Wisal Ahmad,
Experience:  Field Engineer at DWP Group
107108665

I am looking to buy a Gigabyte RTX 3070, however I can see

Customer Question

I am looking to buy a Gigabyte RTX 3070, however I can see that my Gigabyte motherboard B450 Elite only supports GDDR4 where RTX 3070 is GDDR6. My question is if I buy the 3070 will the graphics card work as it should on my computer? Or do I need to update my motherboard that supports GDDR6.- Even if the 3070 works will my CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core Processor bottleneck the gpu?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Mian-Wisal Ahmad replied 6 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** to Just Answer. I understand how you feel. That sounds frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please ignore the optional premium request of secure remote which is automatically generated by the site (not by me). I’m okay with chat.

So, to answer your question, yes, you can use any GDDR6 GPU in your B450 board, they are all compatible. You should worry more about whether your CPU is fast enough to keep up with said GPU, and whether your PSU can safely provide power to the GPU without killing other parts or dying itself. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Understandable, and one last question how can I check if my CPU will be fast enough to keep up with said GPU? I believe the power shouldn't be a problem as I currently have a 850watts power supply

In order to track GPU performance data using the Task Manager, simply right-click the Taskbar, and select Task Manager. If you're in the compact mode, click the More details button, and then click the Performance tab.