hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Expert
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer hardware problems
40928634

I plan to replace old Buffalo NAS which does not connect to

I plan to replace old Buffalo NAS which does not connect to windows 10 computers with a new one. For some reason I cant find s Buffalo one available so likely ti get another brand. Is it possible the two storage drives in old NAS will fit new? Right now NAS enclosures available but ones with storage are out of stock.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, which is a PAID Question and Answer support website.
I am hongkongpom, an independent support technician based in South Africa, that uses JustAnswer to connect with customers.
Please note that I am only allowed to answer ONE question per session.
Please type in the box below, then click on the "Send" button to send me your reply.
Please note that PREMIUM OFFERS such as REMOTE ASSISTANCE or a PHONE CALLl are sent by this website WITHOUT my permission and you may ignore them.

I am sorry that you having a problem with your equipment and will help you resolve the issue.

I am reviewing your question and will answer you shortly. Thank you for your patience!

Yes what has happened is that the old drives used an insecure version of SMB which was version 1.0. this is the language that allowed your NAS to be connected over a network.
If you have a firewall in your router and only your family is connected to your network you can turn SMB 1.0 back on and then you should see your NAS again.
If the NAS has SATA drives then yes you can put them in a new NAS but most probably the drives will be formatted which means you'll lose the information. In which case you should copy the files stored on the NAS drive to a back up drive that you plug into your computer's USB socket.
Here's a link that shows how to enable the SMB 1.0 on your Windows 10 computer click me

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Very useful. Thanks. How can i check i have a firewall on my router?

You would need to log into the router's ADMIN page and make sure that the NAT/firewall is turned on but so long as your network is only used by your family members that you will be safe to enable the SMB. You would need to Google the model of your router to see how to log in and verify the firewall is on but it normally is by default. thank you