Mike Taylor
Mike Taylor, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer repair and virus advice.
13888338

I wanted to know the cost before I asked the question below.

I wanted to know the cost before I asked the question below. Now I'm getting shown that you're working on my question, which was about cost. The person "Pearl" was very reluctant to tell me, then at third attempt said £5 for week's trial & would send me a page to register. I reluctantly did that , reluctant because the page does not say what the charge will be, but I have a screen shot saying £5. I've looked on TrustPilot & seen some unhappy reviews on this score.Well my question is to do with my desk top computer. Yesterday a.m. I had several notices on my screen warning me that the computer had been attacked. The notices were on top of each other so I don't know whether it said just virus, it did include malware. It purported to be from Microsoft & there was a phone number. Unfortunately I rang the number & discovered it was a scam. I've since checked that Microsoft never display a phone number. I am still using Windows 7 so it wasn't implausible that it could be insecure. I was wary but unfortunately did as the "technician" directed on the phone & downloaded two programs (the first disappeared so I received a second) which gave him remote access. Then a notepad screen appeared & I typed in my name & phone numbers, landline & mobile.
I was told someone would ring me & sure enough a woman did. I then realized for sure it was a scam & she was phishing so I said I was hanging up & she cut off.
I reported it to Fraud Alert UK or whatever they're called , & asked if my computer was now in danger, i.e., will it be infected by something. The Fraud Alert (or whatever) person recommended taking it to a professional for help to remove any viruses. On the other hand the reports I've seen online say to remove the downloaded programmes. Will there be harm done before I even get to them ?!Should I take it to a pro or can I do it safely myself? I don't mind going to a pro but it's the hassle of disconnecting, loading up the car, let alone phoning round in the first place to find someone.I'm also very unhappy that I gave someone my name & numbers, though the mobile number was for a very old phone, not my smartphone so they won't try to hack that.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** will be assisting you with your question today..

I have received your question and I am currently reading over it and will be typing a reply shortly...... Thankyou and look forward to working with you :-)

I have read over all of the information you have provided and I highly recommend a remote session so you do not have to take it into a shop for a virus removal..

I offer this service as $40 USD and most repair shops will charge you 75 pounds and up.......... YES you can remove those programs by going into control panel then programs, then select each one for uninstallation... Once that is done you will need to do a thorough scan of your system using Malwarebytes to get any malware or virus activity off your machine as well as sever any remote access...

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
At the moment I can't connect from here. I'm using my laptop & I've not switched on the desktop since yesterday. If you think you can do it remotely I'd give it a go. I'd have to warn you the PC is very very full & therefore very slow, as I've filled it up with videos I need for a legal issue.

As long as you are able to open up a browser window so you can type in my URL at the top you will be ok and we will be able to fix it... Now if the hackers have locked you out, which in some cases they DO on a restart then its big trouble......

Before we do the remote session turn the desktop on and remove those programs that they put on as quickly as you can.. ALSO if you see any programs called ANYDESK or TEAMVIEWER that gives remote access, please delete those too otherwise they may try to stop me from entering your system...

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This is confusing. You wrote $40 but I got a screen saying £22 then it appears to be a remote "assistant", not you? So it's $40 dollars. And I type in the URL at thre top of this screen?

I do not know what your conversion is your side, sorry for confusion.... We are in the USA and we service UK clients so you amounts will be converted..

As techs we dont get to see amounts or anything to do with accounts or billing....

I will not confuse you further by telling you I am from Norwich UK and currently living in Houston Texas :-)

So once you request remote assistance I will then send you a link that you will type into the desktop since you are not on it now....

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
HO ho. OK it's come up in sterling now as £34 which probably tallies with your quote. Sorry for thr delay but it came up as a pop up which I couldn't get past without going backwards first.I have to click on the accept even though it's for a different computer. Oh la la
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I click on te offer on my screen?

Not a problem at all haha.....Thats correct yes

On the desktop, open a browser and type in this URL

https://tinyurl.com/5cbsd6z5

Press enter to launch the URL

Click on AGREE

Open the downloaded ELSINORE file to connect to me

See above

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Oh right, we've crossed messages.

All good..

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just clarify please if I do the removal business first before I do your URL etc

Yes if you are able to, it will give us a head start because if they block my connection its going to get ugly.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Right, just copying & I head upstairs. Do I leave this laptop on in case of disaster?

Yes I would so we can stay in contact if it all goes jimll fix it on us....

I will be chatting with you in the remote session too at time to explain what ive done and what I am doing.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
on my way

Thankyou

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
sorry so slow. I've done the removal & checked the other stuff you named isn't there. Now I'm watching the tab with a tennis ball going side to side & just the site's home page there & "waiting for..." I'll go & look again but if it won't load it's my fault the computer is just so full

I should be able to help with that as well without touching any personal files... If you do have malware on the system its also going to bottleneck that computers connection to the internet but it should work eventually.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The home page is there now, I don't see anything where I click accept. It's got the Ask a Question box

One moment, I will make you a new link and test it

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=eb479464-0e3f-4908-936b-aa89135612bc

I know this is long but it doesnt seem to be working via a tinyurl for some reason......

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
copied & going to try again

Thankyou

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Unfortunately I got this "The page isn’t redirecting properly
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies"
Is another browser rather than Firefox going to work?

Yes you can use any browser, google chrome if possible but anything other than firefox so we dont get that message.... The virus may also be responsible for that..

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ok It loaded ok on this laptop & I'm using Chrome.

Ok....

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Looks as if I don't have Chrome on that one. Opened up Edge & the same tab that caused the problem has come up. Can I just close the tab & go to your link?

Yes try and close the tab, if it wont close, close out edge and when you restart edge, choose to NOT restore previous tabs

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Downloading Elsinore

Im in, thankyou

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
indow asking do I allow Malwarebytes

DO you see the program file I downloaded? Its trying to stop my connection, yes allow and install it please

Click your mouse on its current location please

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I saw you hovered over a program on the program list called Screen Connect Client dated yesterday, when this happened.. Is that one of their baddies?

No that is the software im using now, just analyzing carefully....

Malwarebytes has blocked their software from blocking me so im on a roll

As soon as you see this message please restart the desktop.

Please use your computer as normal and let me know what you think......

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK

Thankyou

Malwarbytes was trying to keep me out hahaha so had to fight it off a bit with your help... It SHOULD be a huge difference in speed BUT it can only be sped up so much due to the volume being full.... ALL threats have been removed now and you dont have to worry about them anymore... PLEASE sign up to buy the full malwarebytes version, it is very very good.

Your trial will expire in 14 days...

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well that was nerve racking! "Pls try not to move the mouse" indeed! Actually your message pane was part hidden behind the other windows so that was a tall order. The only thing that's come up now is something about Windows desktop search not properly installed, but it seems to tell me where I can go for it. Thanks for all that & I saw your emails just before the battery got to 0% on my phone.
If that's it, then presumably I just rate you & pay via your site?

Everything is all taken care of already so you are good to go.... Yes it can be a challenge, especially when im partially blocked but not totally blocked. It makes things interesting......

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK thanks. Life will be diferent tomorrow after two horrendous days. At least I didn't fall for the scam itself. Thanks a lot for your help. Hope the sun shines, bye.

You are very welcome, all the best to you!