How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steve Your Own Question
Steve, Consultant
Category: Networking
Satisfied Customers: 292
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.
Type Your Networking Question Here...
Steve is online now

Networking PC's

This answer was rated:

Hello. I have two Lenovo PC's that are on adjacent desks. They both have windows 8.1 64 bit. I use ACT on of them and want to be able to have ACT on the other pc too, so that both users will be using the same system. I wanted to steer clear of buying a router, wireless adapters etc if possible as I only need a simple solution. I saw on the net that you can buy a crossover cable, but this only seems to work with Vista and 7. Is there an easy way to do this with a cable? I already have two licence agreements for ACT!, and I just wanted us both to be able to input data on the software, on different PC's, so each other can see the data.

Hi, my name is***** should be able to use a crossover cable between the two computers with Windows 8. You need to change the network adapter settings on each computer and enter an IP address. For example, on Computer A, use and set the default gateway to On Computer B, use and set the default gateway to You might be able to do this with a regular patch cable, because many of the cables recognize they need to switch the Tx and Rx pins and do it automatically.Next, make sure the location of the ACT database is ahared so that the other user can get to it.Then, open ACT on Computer A, go to Tools and Database Maintenance and make sure the shared box is checked. Next, go to Help and About ACT and note the location of the PAD file. Copy this file to the databases folder for Computer B. You're not copying the database to Computer B -- the PAD file is simply a pointer that tells ACT where to find the database.If this answers your question, please accept the answer and rate me accordingly. I don't get paid anything for helping you if you don't accept the answer. If this doesn't resolve your issue, please chat me back and we'll figure out what the problem is. Thanks and have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Do the cross over cables need to go into the ethernet ports on the PC (where the internet cables go). If so, how do i plug in the internet ethernet cables again, or can I buy a duel socket plug? Do I need to buy network cards for each PC as I assume these PC's don't have them issued when purchased? Perhaps if I install network cards for each PC, then the cross over cable connects to these so that this doesnt interupt the internet ports, but I don't know about this as for some reason I think that the cross over cable is like an ethernet cable and uses Internet ports.

you mentioned the crossover cable, so I assumed that both computers had Ethernet ports. To network the computers together, they have to have some kind of network connection, either wired or wireless.
Steve and other Networking Specialists are ready to help you