VanHilton M
VanHilton M,
Experience:  Computer Technician/ Sales Clerk at Roniel Jayectin
104802751

I have bought a Magic Wi-fi and Magic LAN and they work

Good morning. I have bought a Magic Wi-fi and Magic LAN and they work fine. However, my house has thick walls and is large, and I needed a second Magic WiFi adaptor. On trying to set it up, the red light flashes persistently and it will not connect/pair with the Magic LAN. I am doing something wrong, but I don’t quite know what! Can you help?
JA: Who makes your router?
Customer: Sorry for delay. Micro-Tik, it’s called.
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Following the instructions in the small booklet, and Manual Pairing.
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The original purchase has “Magic 2 Wi-fi 2-1” on it.

Hi, I am VanHilton M Welcome to JustAnswer premium service, thank you for utilizing this service.

I will be assisting you to fix the issue you are having.

May I know what troubleshooting have you done?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not sure I understand your question. The brand is deVolo Magic WiFi. I cannot make it work when I try to operate it according to the instructions.

Sorry i got disconnected, due to power outage, are you there?

Can you please elaborate the issue so that I may assist you further?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello again. Sorry for the interruption. Let me start again. I bought a Devolo Magic WiFi and LAN, and set it up according to the instructions. It works fine. But my house is large and has thick walls, and so I need a second extender to reach further. It refuses too set up in the same way. The light flashes red continuously, and the instructions do not tell you what that means, except of course that it does not work. I am sure I am doing something wrong, but not sure what.

Page 24 tells you about the indicator lights

http://www.devolo.com/products/dLAN-WLAN/dLAN-500-WiFi/data/Manual-dLAN-500-WiFi-com.pdf

Just the quick start section sometimes doesn't make it clear

The dlan button in the installation section tends to be called an encryption button or similar just to confuse more.

Presumably you have the correct unit in a socket with the router connected to it and once that is plugged in to a power socket with a steady power indicator light, plug in the other unit where you want it and the green dlan light should go steady after up to 45 seconds. Green is best, ***** ***** ok for SD and red is poor. If this light is flashing it is looking to pair and can't.

After that you encrypt etc. the wireless button is either on or off and default is on so should go green. Press for three seconds to turn off and tap to turn on. To turn on WPS tap the green lot wireless button.

If the remote unit is flashing there is a chance your electric circuits don't like powerlines adaptors. It happens and don't believe the blurb that a standard house will have wiring that allows these devices to connect in every socket - mine doesn't and nothing special in the box I can see..... Try the unit is a socket in the same room as the base unit first - if the green dlan light goes steady there within 45 seconds then the other chosen socket can't be "seen" by the base unit. You will need to find a socket where the light goes steady. If it doesn't go steady even in the same socket as the base unit (piggy back it onto the base unit) then it is not connecting at all. I am guessing that you can try pressing the dlan button on the base for a second and then within a minute or two press the dlan button on the other unit for a second. I think that should pair them. Again do this piggy backed or in a double socket or in a power board. You shouldn't need the network cable from the router to pair these things ( on other makes at least)

Oh - and you aren't using power boards now are you? They have pass through so shouldn't need them and power boards almost always interfere with the connection. Use one only for pairing if required as this guarantees they will pair if they aren't broken.

Good luck.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank You.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks very much. Wonderful help. I'll let you know. I'm most grateful.

You're Welcome.