Ashik
Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Personal and Professional Experience in Networking
16433418

We've just got a new router and now my i-mac doesn't connect

Hi, We've just got a new router and now my i-mac doesn't connect to my Canon MG3150. Can you help?
JA: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your Apple device?
Customer: Sorry, how would I check that?
JA: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Which lights are solid and which are blinking on your router?
Customer: Just one solid white light, that's all there is.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so. Thanks

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly

Did you connect the printer to your new WiFi network?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Ashik, I don't know how to make that connection.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can you tell me how to do that?

Please follow the instructions in here to connect the printer to your WiFi network using WPS method --> https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mg3150_printer_wireless_connection_setup/

Once you did that, please let me know

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK, I'm trying that now.

Once you did that, we need to reinstall it on your computer. So let me know and I will send further instructions

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Ashik, I have followed those instructions, including the turn-off router and turn back on, three times, but am still not getting a connection, only the final E - 2 -1 error code.

Do you have the printer USB cable? We can configure the WiFi using a temporary USB cable method

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, I don't. And the printer is in the next room. It used to work fine on wifi. :<(

And Yes, you changed the router. So you need to connect it to the new router.

Since the WPS method didn't work, we need to setup it using a printer cable. We only need the cable for a few minutes. Can you buy it? You can buy it from any electronics store for under $3

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I need to buy a cable long enough to reach from computer to printer with a USB connection at each end. Is that right? And we will then be able to set up a wi-fi connection? Is that right?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Or do I need a cable to connect the printer to the router?

No, just buy a normal cable. Then take the printer near to your PC and connect with the USB cable. Then we can configure the WiFi on the printer using that cable and then you can disconnect the cable and put the printer back to the original place.

The name of the cable is "Printer USB cable" or " USB A to USB B" cable

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK, I get that. When I've got the cable, can I get back to you? Like tomorrow?

Of course. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites and we can continue tomorrow

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Have done that. Absolute despair is alleviated slightly. But of course, as they say, it's not the despair that finishes you off, it's the hope ...
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I just checked and this cable has a regular flat USB connection at one end and a more square on at the other. Is that right?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thanks, ***** ***** I will go forth and get myself one. Many thanks. Hope to talk again tomorrow.

Make sure you reply back to me when you get the cable and I will help you further. There won't be any additional charges or anything.

Have a good day,

Ashik

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Same to you. Best, Julian

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Ashik, Good morning! I have the cable and have connected the printer to the computer. I'm here whenever you have time.

Hi there, I am not at work now. I will get back to you after 2 hours. Thanks for your patience

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to be at my desk from 12. Have a nice morning!

Meantime, download and install the Canon IJ network tool from here --> https://id.canon/en/support/0200482510/5

Open IJ network tool and connect the printer with the cable. Now, it will list the printer there. Select it and it will let you configure the WiFi.

If you face any difficulty, please let me know and I will walk you through it when I'm back. And you too have a nice morning.

https://id.canon/en/support/0200482510/5

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Ashik. The printer works with the cable in. I have installed the IJ Network tool, but I have failed to configure the wifi. I have to go out and will get back to you around 2pm if that's OK. Best, Julian

Hi Julian, Sure. That is OK. Let me know when you are back

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Ashik, Fixed, sorted and functioning! And I could even borrow the cable from a neighbour. Many sincere thanks for your assistance, not forgetting your responses beyond the call of duty this morning when you weren't even at work. I will pass the word on. Best,

Julian