Richard Kresslein
Richard Kresslein, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Youth Empowerment Volunteer at Peace Corps
98270431

This morning I had. Scam call pretending to be my provider

Customer Question

This morning I had. Scam call pretending to be my provider talktalk, had all the information and security questions that talk talk would ask and even said they would switch off my router while they did the upgrade on making my internet more secure etc and the light on it went out so I had no reason to believe it was not actually talktalk.. They then progressed to ask me to make all sorts of changes on my phone until eventually I got a bit suspicious and suggested that instead I made an appointment for my son who works in IT to do it as I felt out of my depth. They immediately put down the phone. I immediately rang talktalk to discover it was not their engineer who had contacted me and were very surprised ised and interested how they were able to interfere with my Reuter etc etc- long discussion and they are trying to enquire into it all. In fact although they said the route was not then able to access the internet we discovered that although the light went out it still could. Now the problem is my phone is not working normally on the internet and comes up with NovbatiHesabniza etc all foreign addresses . How can I clear this and get back to normal internet use please as I am desperate to have it operating again
JA: What's the brand and model of your router? How old is it?
Customer: It is a TalkTalk model 2 years old
JA: What have you tried so far with your router?
Customer: nothing as talktalk were able to inform me that it was fully operational alt bough the light would not come on again
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard Kresslein replied 13 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. I recommend resetting the router to set it back to the default settings. To do so, use a pen or paperclip to hold down the tiny RESET button on the back of your wifi router until the lights turn off then come back on. Release the button and wait for the lights to return to normal. Then you should be able to connect using the default password ***** on the router.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The green light has now come on on my router

Okay, great!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would like you to access my mobile phone directly to sort out the problem using the secure system

You can ignore the offer for remote assistance. It is an automatic pop-up and not possible.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How long am I likely to have to wait before my remote security takes over

Again, you can ignore the offer for remote assistance. It is an automatic pop-up and not possible.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What do I now do as regards ***** ***** the unwanted foreign rubbish from my phone

Clearing things from your phone is a separate issue and you will need to open a new request at JustAnswer.com for that.