projectx2501
projectx2501, Network Architect
Experience:  Over ten years experience in information systems management!
65274887

You have recently enabled me to set up a LAN to connect my

You have recently enabled me to set up a LAN to connect my two desktop computers. I am happy to say that they both work correctly and connect to the Internet. Unfortunately despite my best efforts I can't get them to talk to one another. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?
JA: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?
Customer: Device name DESKTOP-ECN6BJF
Processor AMD Ryzen 3 3250U with Radeon Graphics 2.60 GHz
Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.42 GB usable)
Device ID BEC7834F-773D-4307-AFC5-ADFCB8FFEBBB
Product ID 00325-82039-95450-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Mikrotik heX S router

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. Are you ready now or did you need a few minutes?

Usually all you have to do is make one setting change. Press the windows key on your keyboard, select settings, and go to Networking. In there click on properties and make sure that it is set to Private. You have to make sure that both computers are set to private before they can see each other.

There can be other settings blocking you communications. If this is the case, let me know and I will tell you what the next step to take is however often, it is not necessary to take any other steps.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have managed to allow file sharing on each machine. It now asks for an admin password ***** I either don't know or can't remember.

Great, give me a couple of minutes

** Please read me ** So that I can securely connect to you, you need to download an app called Anydesk by clicking on the link below and then on Download. Then, open the Anydesk app and give me the numbers on the screen so that I can find you.      ------->Click Here<------ https://anydesk.com

For the admin password, it would be the password ***** use to open your computer (not the PIN).

It may be asking you for the admin on the other computer if you are trying to connect to it.

No worries, I can sort all that out once I get connected. I will make sure we leave everything set up the way you need it :)

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
downloaded AnyDesk but It didn't instal and I got fed up with messing about with it and erased it. I was provided with a given a name for the hard disk and asked to provide the name for the other one. How?

You normally look for the shared drive and you have to enter it in this format:

\\computer name\\[email protected]

Sometimes you don’t need the domain if you are using workgroups.

About AnyDesk. You did not have to install it. All that was needed was for you to open it and you would see some numbers you would provide me.

No worries, I will let customer service know that we did not connect so that you are not billed for the remote assistance.

To be clear about the logins. So you would go to Computer A and look for computer B hard drive in the network. To connect them so that the computer always see it, you will be asked for the login information to Computer B. You would enter that information in as

\\ComputerB\User of ComputerB

For example:

\\Desktop1374\Fred

if you have a domain you would enter it after the name using an @

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am afraid this stuff is Greek to me. I'll have another go art the download of AnyDesk if I don't need to get tangled up in it.

I would be happy to assist which ever way you choose. It is 2am in California though so If I do not reply, rest assured another expert will soon after you reply.

Again if it is asking for a password, you would enter the one for the computer you are connecting to and not the one you are at (unless you are using Active Directory)

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have followed the AnyDesk instructions. The name of the other computer is DESKTOP-1RHPOTV. It seemed to accept this but then timed out.

Oh no, with any desk, you just open it and give me the numbers you see.

The previous message was answering your question about the login to your network problem.

For any desk, you should see 9 numbers, 123 456 789, I would need those to find you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The numbers provided were 320 365 389.

Thank you. Give me 1 minute

Thank you. You should click on the green accept button

Could you please click on the green accept button on anydesk?

I guess I was disconnected... Could you click on accept again please

There might be something wrong with your network. I was disconnected twice. We can check that. Could you click on accept again please?

I keep getting network disconnected. Maybe you can connect me to the other computer??? You may have some other problem which is why you were not able to connect things.

Maybe an IP address conflict. We will check that. Maybe you can connect me to another computer?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How are you not connected already? The machines are both connected to the router.

I keep getting disconnected... See this image...

It looks like you have some problems going on. We can fix them I am sure but maybe you can click on accept as soon as you see it (I may disconnect a few times) or you can get me to another computer.

For example, right now it is waiting for you to press the accept button. I cant see your screen until you click on accept.

So you have to click on accept so that I can connect... It has been waiting for you to accept on the plus side, it has not disconnected.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Each computer now only recognises files in the Windows/Users/Bob folder of the other machine which are my personal files. Can you please correct his so each machine can read all files?

That is usually not done or something that I recommend because there really is no need to it and it will open up a huge amount of security exploits to be possible however if you really wanted to it is very simple.

Simply right click on the C: drive at each machine and select Sharing, then select the user that should have access and click on share. That’s it!

Let me know if you have any questions :)