kweiner
kweiner, Consultant
Experience:  30+ years of software development and technology mgt. experience
23047325

Am looking to overhaul a site in DREAMWEAVER. Have loaded

Am looking to overhaul a site in DREAMWEAVER.
Have loaded the new files to the LOCAL folder prior to taking across to the REMOTE fiolder.
Am unable to PREVIEW this site. Get a message

"Update copy on Testing serfver. This will update the file on the testing server. It might affect others working on the file. Proceed?"

I am then told that the file can't be found, whether I click to go ahead or say no.

And yet, on another LOCAL folder I have no problem in previewing via Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc
Any ideas please?
When you have dynamic content (such as php), Dreamweaver is not able to preview directly from the local folder. Instead, it must preview from a "testing server," which is an actual web server (running on your local machine or a remote server) that hosts the needed services (php, MySQL, Cold Fusion, etc.). In the drop-down where you select between local and remote views, there is also a testing server selection. You must sync your files to that server whenever you want to test, just as you would for your live server. If you do not have one defined, DW will allow you to set up access when you try to switch to it. However, you (or a web administrator) will have to implement the actual server somewhere.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks. I don't seem to be able to preview still on the site that was, until I took old files off, the 'live' site (harburnvillagehall.org.uk) However, I am still abet to preview the files in a new site I am using to build up a replacement for the site mentioned above.

In short, two local folders: on the one above I CAN'T preview, I get the message mentioned earlier. On the other one (harburn. new) I CAN preview despite 'local view' being on the drop down menu to the right.

Surely there is a contradiction in therse two reactions?

Thanks,

NB

Again, the error seems to relate to dynamic content in the one that is failing. I would have to see some of the files to tell what is happening. Are you able to put all the site files in a zip and provide a link to it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm sure I can do that, but I have some urgent appointments today and may have to defer. Am I allowed to keep this case open and return to it in a couple of days please?

No problem, we can pick this up again when you are ready.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Have a short break before appointments. May I just check a couple of points:

1. I can easily place in folder and send, but do you need the files to be on the REMOTE site - if so, how can I avoid people accessing before it is ready to be viewed? Presumably you can't access my LOCAL site where the files are at the moment? Or can you?

2. I think I understand your points about testing server, but can't see why it fails to work with one site and works on another. (see last mail)

I appreciate this is taking more of your time that anticipated, we will have to re-assess the fee if you manage to crack this one!

Apologies for ineptitude.

NB

I did send an email pointing out that, at the moment, your emails are geing sent to my wife. I let them know that my email [email protected] I think the confusion was caused by the fact that I forgot having used the JustAnswer service a while back.

I have received no answer from Customer Services, but it would be MUCH simpler if you could reply to this ([email protected]) address. Thanks,

N

What I meant was that you should put the entire folder in a single zip file, and upload that somewhere (a site you control, or some file sharing site). To create a zip in Windows, right click the folder and select Send To / Compressed Folder. On a Mac, right click the folder in Finder and select Compress.

Site policy does not allow us to communicate through direct email. If you do not hear from Customer Service in the next day, let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks - will do after the Christmas break.

N

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Am now returned and would like one more crack at this.

As said earlier, I have nearly finished re-working the site but don't really want to put it back on line yet.

You say you need the folder on line. How can I put it there without it being visible to others please?

Thanks,

Norry XXXXXXXX

You can just zip the folder and upload the single zip file anywhere on your site, even the root. No one will be able to see it without knowing the name and location. So just post the address here (yoursite/file.zip) and after I pick it up I will let you know and you can delete it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

harburnvillagehall.org.uk

harburnvillagehall.zip

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

have tried to access with no success.

Have also tried harburnvillagehall.org.uk/public_html/harburnvillagehall.org.uk.zip

Seem to have loaded wrongly?

NB

The file is fine, you just need to address it as
http://harburnvillagehall.org.uk/harburnvillagehall.zip

I have a copy now and you may delete the zip. I will be able to look at it later today and will let you know what I find. Thanks.
I had no problem testing the local site. I just created a new site in DW, pointing to the folder you provided. Perhaps you could try removing the site in Manage Sites and creating a new one (pointing to the same local folder).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Don't know what I've done now, but the local file has now disappeared. Getting a message, can't find a valid editor for this file extension.

I have a copy, so do I reinstall via the 'manage sites' command?

Also, afraid I don't understand what is meant by removing the site in Manage Sites and creating a new one (pointing to the same local folder).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Further apologies, I jhave now located the files on the local site. How should I now proceed please?

NB

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Am still very perplexed. When using your address: http://harburnvillagehall.org.uk/harburnvillagehall.zipI can see and olpen the files but they look nothing like the originals.

If you lok above, the problem was being unable to preview this site in a browser. I copied the message I was getting.

There was no previewing problem when using another site I have created or when testing a site under construction. It's only when I am attempting to preview http://harburnvillagehall.org.uk/harburnvillagehall.zip

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not sure if I have received a reply (it is 19.40 0n 3rd Jan. Latest I can see is 12.49 from you

Sorry about the delay, I've been dealing with the aftermath of a snow storm.

If you don't recognize the files in the zip, maybe you picked them up from a different folder. Verify the site folder corresponds to the one you are zipping. If you want to try again, look at the zip after it's uploaded and see if it looks ok. Then I'll grab it again. Just use the same address. Delete all copies of the old zip first to make sure there are no remains.

To confirm, I was able to preview the local site files in a browser without any errors. I did not see any dynamic content that would have caused the error, but it seems I may just have the wrong files.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Have recompressed and also removed old zips. The new zip called harburnvillagehall(2).zip.

However, can't have a look as you suggest because I get message "can't find an editor for this extension"

There doesn't seem to be a file at that location.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I right clicked on the folder and compressed the folder. DW renamed the zip (within harburnvillagehall.org.uk) and called it harburnvillagehall(2).zip.

I am now recompressing the folder and have deleted others. The puitting of the folder onto the remote normally takes about ten minutes.

WEil;l stay withion reach of computer.

Thanks,

N

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Have now compressed again and it is 'putting'. It's named harburnvillagehall.zip

I am not having any issues with this site either. I used Site / New Site and set the local site folder to the extracted folder. No errors when previewing. See if you still have problems if you set up a new site in DW referencing the existing site folder.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry but not sure what :

set up a new site in DW referencing the existing site folder.

means.

Further apologies,

N

In the Dreamweaver Site menu, select New Site, provide a dummy Site Name, and set the Local Site Folder to your existing site folder. Then Save. See if you can preview now in the new site.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Right - will do. if it does work, is it ok to rename it with the original harburnvillagehall title?

Thanks,

N

You would remove the old site first in the Site / Manage Sites dialog. Keep the zip you made as backup if anything goes wrong.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks. Will do.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Have now got a site marked temporary which previews good as gold.

Propose to rename tomorrow as the original harburnvillagehall.org.uk. OK???

Have kept a back-up, but hope not needed.

I THINK YOU HAVE DONE IT!

Many thanks for your expertise and, more to the point,your incredible patience.

Will report back tomorrow and and complete the assessment form. Reckon I owe a bit more as well.

Here's hoping..............................................

Yes, you can rename it after you have removed the old site in Sites / Manage Sites. Removing does not affect the site files, it just removes the site profile in Dreamweaver. No need to pay extra, just press Accept when you are satisfied with the help you have received.