Richard, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist

I have a site built with html pages. Is there an easy way I

I have a site built with html pages. Is there an easy way I can alter text on one page (say in a navigation bar) and give a command that will make this alteration site-wide? Can this be achieved using CSS and can the CSS be added to the pages retrospectively?
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will wait for answer
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hi there and welcome
Is this text thats actually displayed on the pages? So what a visitor will see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it's the navigation bar across the top of each page. (Also called Menu Bar I believe?) It always remains the same whatever page the reader is accessing. I suspect I can modify the LOOK of the bar or part of the bar but I'd like to find out whether I can make a 'global' alteration to the TEXT. I spend a lot of time coming through the pages and altering the wording and wonder whether there is some more economic way?
You can do it via CSS
In the actual navigation you would put a span around the text like this

Then in the CSS you would use
.nav-title:after {
content: 'Menu Text';
Then you only have to change it there and as long as you use the Span with the same class, the text will always be the same.
Is this what you are looking for?
as this is a web page some of my code was stripped out
You can see the proper message here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I say, will have to deal with this tomorrow and get back to you if that's OK by you?
ok no problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
your welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had a look at the material you sent me and I'm afraid my lack of knowledge of coding is all too evident!
Any chance I could send you a page of coding from the site, or that you could have a look at the coding of the site (address below),
You will quickly see that it has, to a great degree, been constructed in 'design' mode. I have not used CSS at all. I appreciate how using the method can lead to an economical way of changing the colour/weight/background/font etc globally throughout the site. What interests me is whether I can do the same with the actual WORDING of the text.Instance, if you look at a page of my site ( you will see a part of the nav bar at the top called Burns and Other Parties. If you click on this, the drop down menu offers Burns 15 16. Until last week this read Burns 15, but I wanted to add in 16 so I oipened EACH page separately, found the code and altered to make the addition. As you can imagine this took a time!
I was told (by someone who knows only marginally more than me admittedly, that there could be a quicker way of doing this alteration.I hope you can understand this rather rambling account and realise that I may be going into some extra time if you think you can sort the problem.In hope,NB
Because this interface removes my code for HTML, I put my response for you in this file here
Richard, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Computer Software Specialist