Simit
Simit, Programming Tutor
Experience:  I have my Bachelor in Computer Engineering. I took many programming classes in college.
15190142

My question is probably not a programming question. I have a

My question is probably not a programming question. I have a Joomla website I can see the front end ok, but I cannot get into the administrator backend - it just gives me an Error page. I have tried disabling Akeeba admin tools but that doesn't seem to work
JA: Is there a specific language you're coding in?
Customer: As I just said, it's not a programming question - it's a Joomla admin question/problem
JA: What's your objective? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: My objective is to restore my backend access to the Joomla website
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that I have tried the Akeeba recovery tools and disabled the main.php file but neither qworked

What is the error that you are receiving?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I simply get an Error page - it seems to be a PNG obtained from the template files

What does the error page say on it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It just says Error. You can probably see it if you look at metametamodelling.com/administrator
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not selected the remote connection option because the problem is not on my computer - it is on the website

That error page is a '404' error. That basically means that the 'administrator' page doesn't exist. That could be due to a number of factors.

What version of Joomla are you using?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I go into the cPanel for the website I can use the file manager to see all the pages. Also, I get the occational backend security notice that someone tried to break in - so all the Akeeba Admin tools software firewall is still working.

I was able to find the version, 3.9.4. The issue you are seeing is often caused by a bad .htaccess file. This file can be used to control access and settings for any given webpage, in this case, your administrator console. To troubleshoot, you can try renaming that file to something like .htaccess.txt and then see if the page loads. You want to do the one that is located in that administrator folder on your joomla installation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for that - I renamed it to .htaccess-disabled, and that has let me in

Awesome. Please let me know if you need more help with this. Otherwise, please be sure to rate my answer 5 stars. Bonuses are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sure - I needed to get in because it has been bugging me to update to Joomla 3.9.6 and I can see the Akeeba components that also need updating. Do you have any idea what should be in the .htaccess file for a Joomla administrator account?

I don't see much about the htaccess file for the admin folder specifically, but joomla does provide one for the main site.