syseng
syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience, including Linux development and platform support
13852270

I have a MS Word document where all my titles are preceded

Customer Question

I have a MS Word document where all my titles are preceded by a number without space between the number and the title is there any way to fix thisexamples:
1Tiltle one
.
.
.
20Title twentyThank you
Category: Programming
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** apologies for the delay.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello yes i need assistance
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Yes, click the Paragraph icon in the toolbar/ribbon at the top of Word after opening the document - that will reveal the metadata on the page and help indicate which control is selected and formatting the title with the number in front.

Also, depending on the version you are using, click the first title (the title with the "1" in front of it), then click the Home tab, then click the bullet menu icon on the ribbon just below the View menu and deselect the numbered heading attribute that does not have a "." after the number.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello sorry I was not clear in my question the real exemple is :CHAPTER 1title one
CHAPTER 20title Twenty
\the solution you gave me does not work in this exemples
im gonna correct my post
thank you
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Just to clarify, is the Chapter 1title one, etc. listed in a table of contents?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when i generate the table i have it in the table of content
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Highlight one of the titles, then click the Home tab, and in the Styles section select Heading 1 rather than the style currently selected and let me know if that fixes the problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am using office 356 i did it but it chages only the title selected
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Ok - then next do the same change to each of the titles one at a time or hold down the CTRL key while selecting each of the titles then make the same change and that should fix all of them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i do it in the table of contents ?
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

Yes.

Another way to do it is to select the table of contents then click the menu item that appears to the left of the Update Table item, and then select a different format for the table of content from the drop down menu that appears.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried all this no result i think the only solution is a macro
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

The issue occurs only in the table of contents, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I foud the solution, thank you for your assistance
Expert:  syseng replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome and glad I could help.

Also, please provide a positive 3, 4, or 5 star rating using the star rating system on your screen.