Richard, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist
32989067

I'm in need of some help using lookup funtion in excel is

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I'm in need of some help using lookup funtion in excel is this something you can help with?
JA: When did you last update Excel?
Customer: it is up to date
JA: What have you tried so far with your Excel?
Customer: to use the vlookup funtion but it's failing
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Programming
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you tell me how you try to use it and how it is failing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am trying to filter two column's of data in excel.I have two lists of email address's. Column A and B. I want to compare Cell A1 with all of Column B and then get an answer in Column C as to if A1 matches anything in Column B. There may be duplicates of A1 in Column A also but i don't want this to factor.I have so far been using =NOT(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B1,$C:$C,1,FALSE))) to try and do this however for some reason it isn't 100% accurate and leaves a small amount of emails that are still in both Columns.Looking for help to cure this.Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

If it kinda wors, then the issue is not the formula it is the data.

Check the remaining for items such as blank spaces please, as the formula either works or does not, when it kind of works it is the data thats the issue, and not matching.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok i have just re downloaded both lists of emails again fresh. I have put them both in to a new spreadsheet and used the same VLOOk up and again it's finding some of the emails and reporting some as a duplicate and not others.I have now copied and pasted the email from column A here =***@******.***
and this is the email from column B here =***@******.***The only thing i can see that is different is that in Column A there is a space after the email address so "*****@******.*** " like this vs no space in the Column B like this "*****@******.***"Can the space after the email effect the VLOOK up?If so how can i counter this please?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Yes the space is an issue.

Do a find and replace in the column, and put in the find a space, and leave the replace empty

It will remove the spaces.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ah! this fixed it.thanks!
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome!