Richard, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist
32989067

What excel formula would i use when I require the following?

hi, what excel formula would i use when I require the following?
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Sorry, what excel formula do I need when I require the following: J6=H6-I6 but if no value is in I6 then use the value in H6 (which will then show a zero value)?
JA: What application are you using?
Customer: Excel
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

This one

=if(I6="",H6,H6-I6)

You put that in J6

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Richard, unfortunately this formula still shows a value in J if there is no value in I6. If I do not have a value in I6 I need it to take the value in H6 so that it shows a zero value in J6.So in words, J6 is to show the difference between H6-I6, however, if there is no value in I6 then it needs to take it as the same value that is in H6 so it shows no difference in J6 until I put a value in I6.

ok.. thats what the formula does do but when you say nothing, do you mean 0 or blank?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I mean 0, so when I has zero value in it takes the value in H so it shows a zero value in I, however, if there is a value in I it will take it. - (H) £500 (I) £0 (J) £0 / (H) £500 (I) £300 (J) £200 (J=H-I)

Ok user this then please

=if(I6=0,H6,H6-I6)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nope, still returns a value in J6. Basically I am doing a spreadsheet for a customers budget which is in H6, the actual costs I get I put in I6 and if there is a difference between the 2 it shows in J6. However, if I do not have an actual cost I need it to take it the the actual cost is the same as H6 so it shows no difference in J6?

attach the sheet here please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Richard, will this cost me an additional £22?

no as it should be quick, no extra cost

ok, I see you requested the remote desktop which is an additional cost.

Please click this link

https://join.zoho.eu/179829285

and open the file that downloads