Bing
Bing, Programming Tutor
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
96068672

I'm trying to highlight a cell, if, I'm trying to

Customer Question

Hi, I'm trying to highlight a cell, if
JA: Is there a specific language you're coding in?
Customer: I'm trying to conditional format a cell based on set criteria.
JA: What's your objective? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: I have a name register and I'm looking to highlight the cell if:
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: PROBLEM - If a name in a register appears several times and is in a table (sheet1, ColumnA), and it matches a name on another unique list (sheet2, ColumnC), and other specific cells on that row from sheet2 are empty, colour the matching name cells on sheet1 (sheet1, ColumnA)
Category: Programming
Expert:  Bing replied 7 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, an independent technical support website. My name is ***** ***** it’s my pleasure to be assisting you today.

Is it possible for you to upload the original workbook for review?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Bing, Please see the Attendance Register attached. I basically require the cells containing names in the "register sheet" to turn yellow if they are yellow on the "competency sheet". On the "competency sheet", you will see each name has specific conditional formating based on various criteria. In a nutshell, the register is a rolling record, when a person attends I want the attendance register to highlight if that person has not received their specific inductions. Hope I make sense. I look forward to your response, it is driving me crazy. Thank you.
Expert:  Bing replied 7 days ago.

Thanks. Reviewing.

Expert:  Bing replied 7 days ago.

You no need to use conditional formating to "monitor" the other sheet's colours or results of conditional formatting. You just need to apply the same codirions as they are in the other sheet. As shwon below.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry, Bing, I don't quite follow. Are you able to implement the changes and email back?
Expert:  Bing replied 7 days ago.

You already have an extensive number of rules in use and I need to take a while to get familiar with the rules.

If you really have no idea about what I am talking about, I can provide you a simple yet workable demo for you. is it okay?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I would prefer it if you could apply the new formula to the "register sheet" (Column N) for one of the conditions on the "Competency Sheet" (Column C) to see how it works. Perhaps start with the condition that contains "Director" (Competency Sheet - Column C). Once I can see the new format I can apply it to all the other rules.
Expert:  Bing replied 7 days ago.

If so, do you mind I send you an offer to cover my extra time and effort?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have already paid "just Answer" for this service!
Expert:  Bing replied 7 days ago.

I believe that was for general consulting via this chat, not for everthing or extra work and time. As I said, your existing workbook have an extensive number of rules in place, and I guess you already knew it would be time-consuimg work to review the rules.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I understand, would you prefer to send a demo?
Expert:  Bing replied 7 days ago.

As suggested, I will send you a demo.

I am in a remote session now, and I will do that once finished.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you Bing
Expert:  Bing replied 7 days ago.

Here you go.