Bing
Bing, Programming Tutor
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
96068672

I need guide putting developing a python script to include

Customer Question

I need guide putting developing a python script to include parental control features
JA: What's your objective for this Python project?
Customer: I have a wireless access point setup and I want to program parental control features to control the devices that connect to it
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats it
Category: Programming
Expert:  TechExpertTZ replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Tauseef, Technology Expert with JustAnswer and I am a Computer Science graduate, I have over 15 years of experience in this field and have helped thousands of customers.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your parental control. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

• May I know who I'm chatting with?

• Usually Wireless access points / routers have built in parental controls which you can activate without the need for programming yourself, what is the make and model of your WAP?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello! My name is Lilian

HI Lilian, 

Usually Wireless access points / routers have built in parental controls which you can activate without the need for programming yourself, what is the make and model of your WAP?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
m working on a project. The aim is to program some control features on a raspberry for a home network

OK so your raspberry is acting as a WAP?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have been able to configure the raspberry pi to act as wireless Access point for the home net
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
network
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The issue m having is coming up with a python script to add the control features
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
M new to python so it's been a bit of a task for me
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
my Raspberry pi is acting as my WAP
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello! You there please?

Would you consider using something like this

Turn your Raspberry Pi into parental control and web filtering access point
https://keexybox.org/turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-parental-control-and-web-filtering-access-point/

Set up network parental controls on a Raspberry Pi
https://opensource.com/article/21/3/raspberry-pi-parental-control

OR - How to Turn Your Raspberry Pi into a Captive Portal Wi‐Fi Access Point
https://www.maketecheasier.com/turn-raspberry-pi-captive-portal-wi%E2%80%90fi-access-point/

I wouldn't recommend writing the code yourself as this will bring additional cost of getting it tested and making it functional for actual use, I suggest you use an open source tried tested solution.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I checked out the pi hole and other third party softwares I can use with the raspberry pi but they don't address the particular function I'm trying to set up for the home network
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don't even need anything to bogus per say
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If I can come up with a script that tells the Rpi to turn off a particular client device at a particular time, that's fine for me.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I just want to be able to show that the Rpi can carry out a parental control features on its own

OK, most commercial routers e.g. Huawei use open source software in their routers, given Raspberry Pi is open source and linux, you should be able to use the same software on your device. The software is comprehensive with all sorts of access control features. Please wait working on this.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok. Thank you. I'm waiting.

Please see this open source solution - https://openwrt.org/
Also read this link - 

Building robust Raspberry Pi wireless router with firewall and QoS inbuilt
https://avine.sh/b/robust-raspberry-pi-wifi-router-firewall-qos/

The steps are listed in a step-by-step order in the above link I shared, so please go through them one after the other and take your time. Let me know the result, please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry but the materials don't say anything about setting up control features
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They talk more about turning your raspberry pi into a wireless and secure router

It has QoS which can perform control features.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Oh I understand. But it's not exactly what I was looking for. QoS as far as am aware will only help me prioritize important traffic.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It won't help me control how long a particular device gets access to the internet and when the device should automatically be cut off from the internet
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
M trying to putt together a python script to include this feature for my Rpi but like I mentioned, m new to python, so m not making so much progress with it. Is it possible to get a service from you with regards ***** *****?
Expert:  TechExpertTZ replied 15 days ago.

My experience in working with QoS after setting rules can limit or cut off particular MAC address depending on the parameters set. Sorry, my experience is implementing scrips vs programming new code in python, thats because I found self written code as to not always meeting quality and testing standards required for bug free running of programs, I can opt out and another expert can take this up who is more familiar with what you are after. Please confirm.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Good morning. Thanks for your explanation. I just need someone who can help me with a python script to control a device connected to a home network. It doesn't have to be anything complicated. Just a script to manipulate a DHCP server. Telling it when to allow connection on a device at a particular time of the day and then to cut off that connection on that device at a particular time of the day. I'm more into networking, this script part is where I have a problem

DHCP is there to dynamically allocate IP addresses, it doesn't control devices or times of the day for connections.  See the tutorial below, i found this to be explaining clearly, you can then add a rule to block traffic via device mac address or if assigned static IP then via IP after a certain time.

How to use your Raspberry Pi as a wireless access point
https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-point/

Let me know if this meets your requirements. Thank you. 

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Exactly! This is exactly what I have been able to do. Turn my Rpi to a WAP.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Where are you suggesting that I include the rule
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
According to the project m working on, the rule needs to be programmed via a python or java script.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The end goal is for an admin which will be a parent or guardian, to be able to control children's time spent on the internet

The code is listed in the link I shared, I am afraid I am not too familiar with Python.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is it possible to get an expert that's familiar with python to help me

Yes sure, I will opt out and another expert will join. It may take a while so you may have to wait longer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Bing replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, an independent technical support website. My name is ***** ***** it’s my pleasure to be assisting you today.

Can I know what specific technical matter is to be addressed with this question?

Expert:  Bing replied 14 days ago.

Please note: If you get an offer for premium service please hold off on that for now. That offer is automatically generated by this website, not by me. I can offer you whatever is needed to solve your problem.

Generally speaking, you may follow the below guide to configuring Parental Control on your Rasberry-based router.

To develop a Python script to drive this, please follow the below installation and configuration guide.

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-python/