Kat
Kat, Consultant
Experience:  Expert
110517830

When I enter a negative number it thinks I am entering a

Customer Question

When I enter a negative number it thinks I am entering a formula and suggest I insert ‘ . Then it ignores the amount when I am totalling. “Numbers” is selected
JA: Is there a specific language you're coding in?
Customer: No just entering data into a spreadsheet
JA: What application are you using?
Customer: Excel
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Can’t recall. I am not with my computer now
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have in the past been a heavy user of excel. First time I have had a problem like this
Category: Programming
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 19 days ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

can you provide a visual example.

also, are you sure you are entering a - and not actually entering an = by mistake.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am correctly entering the data. I am in U.K. now, back home in France next week with my computer. I will contact you then.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you were having with your excel. But please check the things I suggested, then get back to me when you are ready.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Excel on my iPad works perfectly but not on my MacBook Pro
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 13 days ago.

can you provide a visual example.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
it took one and a half hours to take me backwards to my initial unsatisfactory position. Not impressed
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (2321TTZ)

looks normal to me. Are you saying you get an error message whenever you enter a number into any cell on this sheet? Does this happen in every sheet every workbook. Or is this occuring when you try to edit an existing number

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry but have to say your so called service is rubbish

It seams you were unwilling to provide the information necessary to help you with your issue, therefore I believe that another expert would be a better match for your inquiry.

Expert:  Kat replied 13 days ago.
Welcome to JA, I see the previous expert has opted out, can you please provide a copy of the xlsx document you are having issues with to determine if its the cell configuration \ format or your operating system \ excel configuration treating "-" as a operator.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The error seems to occur when I put in pence ie .23 or,23