Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Ive just purchased a BT YouView DVR. It is supplied with a

I've just purchased a BT YouView DVR. It is supplied with a 10 metre STP cable for connecting to my Internet hub. I have a spare CAT 5 UTP patch cable of a more suitable length (2.8 metre) originally supplied with my hub. Which cable would you recommend I use? I've read Wikipedia's descriptions of the differences between STP and UTP but I'm afraid I can't say it helps me much. Many thanks for your guidance. Regards, XXXXX

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Kamil and will do my best to assist you.

Kamil Anwar :

I would recommend STP since it is shielded, meaning protected from electrical interference.

Kamil Anwar :

STP is more expensive than UTP and also has the benefit of being able to support higher transmission rates over longer distances.