Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I have a jvc video camera which at the moment will only play

I have a jvc video camera which at the moment will only play the tapes at a fast speed to enable you to see what is on them.When you select play the scene goes blue/blank and you see nothing,the fast forward and reverse and play functions seem to be working,also when you try to record the screen shows lens cap on,and you cannot do anything else.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Can you see into the tape cassette chamber, enough to tell whether the drive wheels are turning when you select Play, for instance ?

I presume that the "play the tapes at a fast speed to enable you to see what is on them" means some sort of Review mode? or is it not a function at all but a malfunction? (I have to ask since you have not stated the JVC vid camera's model #.)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi the video camera model is a GR-D31 and you have to close it before anything will start ,after inserting the tape the cage that has come up when you open it to insert the tape then closes and you have to close the camera before you can do any thing else.

Have you tried more than one tape?

Did the problem come on suddenly, or gradually?

Was the camera recently subjected to either sub-freezing temperatures, or (I doubt it, at this season) heat above 95 degrees F. ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I have tried various tapes but the camera has not been used for a long time,it has been on a shelf in the spare room until a few weeks ago.

How long has the camera been disused and in a closet?

In the last few weeks (since you took it off the shelf in the spare room where it had been for a long time), has it ever worked better than it does now? if so, to what extent?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi no it has been like this since we looked at it,I'm beginning to think its time to get the tapes put on to a dvd and put the camera into retirement

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for trying to solve the problems with my video camera.

Yes, either that or find a place that will repair so old a model of camera. (Which is not very practical since that old a camera will probably break again in some other way soon after repairs are done.)

You're welcome, I hope my efforts were satisfactory enough.

(Normally I would recommend at least cleaning the read heads in the tape drive, but it sounds as if there's more wrong with the camera than that would address adequately. But still: given that it is a digital tape camera [DV], you should clean the tape heads only with an appropriate cleaning kit. A true digital tape drive, of course, should only be cleaned with a cleaning kit designed for the purpose, since the head gap is narrower and more delicate and can be ruined by the old [analog tape, wide-head-gap] methods)