Engineer Hamid
Engineer Hamid, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  BSc Computer Science, MTA, A+, MCP, MCTS, HP ExperOne.
76930927

Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 which I purchased in

Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 which I purchased in Aug 2013. The battery was low this afternoon and I connected the tablet to the charger. The battery icon comes on itermittently and then begins to show that the battery is charging but as soon as it fills about a quarter of the battery icon, the screen goes blank. I can't switch the tablet on even though it is connected to the charger. Any ideas as to what the problem might be and how I can resolve it?

Engineer Hamid :

Hello , my name isXXXXX have 13 years of hands-on repair with computers. I will be happy to help you.

Engineer Hamid :

Please let me know when you are ready. We will run through a few troubleshooting steps to try getting this resolved reset.

Customer:

Hi, ready when you are...

Engineer Hamid :

Ok Thank you for your reply. I will run through a reset to start off with. Can you please tell me have you got any data such as pictures,messages etc that you need? As this reset may wipe all the photos and data you have to make it look like a brand new device.

Customer:

Yes, no problem to reset...

Engineer Hamid :

Okay no problems at all. A few more questions please if you don't mind answering. Have you tried using a different USB cable/charger?

Customer:

I only have the one usb cable/charger....

Customer:

currently the tablet is connected to my PC - the battery icon appears from time to time and then the icon begins to fill (as if charging) but as soon as it reachs a quarter full, the screen goes blank...as mentioned in my question, i can't seem to switch the tablet on when I am connected to the charger and without the charger connected, there is no response from the tablet at all...

Engineer Hamid :

Right I see. This problem most certainly is related to the battery of the device and the connection to the actual display. In this instance, please can you tell me are you able to remove the back cover so you can access the battery? This is a common problem which I have experienced with this particular model of the Samsung tablet. However, to start off with the battery needs to be disconnected and reconnected so power can flow again through to it. If you would like I can send you a quick video which gives you step by step on how to remove the back cover if that's ok with you? However from this side we are unable to access the Samsung device and is most certainly a hardware issue.

Customer:

sure, happy for you to send me the video. But would my removing the cover not invalidate my current, standard warranty? The device was purchase in Aug 2013 so is, I believe, still in warranty...

Engineer Hamid :

Hi right that's correct. As it is covered under standard warranty I think the best option would be is if Samsung would fit a new battery in which they would. Can you please tell me which town/country you live in so I can get the right details of nearest service centre who will happily replace this battery for you?

Customer:

Tunbridge Wells, Kent, United Kingdom

Engineer Hamid :

Thank you for that . I have checked with the service repair centre it seems that the nearest store that would service it is in Croydon, London. What they usually do is they will take the device from you, give you a receipt and will try to diagnose it on the spot. If they are unable to diagnose it then they will send it to Samsung direct who will most likely replace the parts or replace the tablet. It shouldn't take more than 3 weeks for the whole process to be completed. The croydon service centre details are as follows:

Fleet Mobile Communications

New Eltham, London, 22.74 mi

77-81 Avery Hill Road, New Eltham, London, UK, SE9 2BJ

Phone : 0208(NNN) NNN-NNNN/a>

E-mail : [email protected]

Mon to Fri: 9am - 6pm
Saturday: 9am-5.30pm
Sunday: Closed

Customer:

Okay, thank you.

Engineer Hamid :

Would you like me to leave this question open incase you have any more queries regarding your device?

Engineer Hamid :

During the process of it being given to the service centre or would you like me to close this session?

Customer:

No, that's okay. Seems like I will have to sort this out directly with Samsung (whom I will call on Monday). If they suggest the same service centre that you managed to locate, I will sort that out separately.

Customer:

Many thanks and have a good evening.

No problems at all. I hope that Samsung will fix your device ASAP. If again at any time you have any queries do feel free to post another question or PM me directly and I will be happy to help you. Hope you have a great evening too.
Best Regards
Eng.Hamid