John T. F.
John T. F., Apple Consultant
Experience:  20+ Years in the computer industry

I have MacBook Pro which can no longer find my printer. It

I have MacBook Pro which can no longer find my printer. It used to now it doesn't. I have also just purchased a apple airport time capsule that can't find the internet connection. I thought it might be because I had an old router so upgraded it to a new one. But still having the same problem. My iPhone and iPad still connect to the printer wirelessly though. The router is located directly I front of us about 3 meters away next to the TV. The iPhone and iPad will connect to the time capsule whereas the MacBook won't. But even when the iPad or iPhone connect to the time capsule it still says the time capsule can't find an internet connection
Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

JustAnswer requires us to deal with one issue at a time but I'd be happy to assist you in troubleshooting your printer issue in this discussion.

If I understand correctly, the MacBook Pro (MBP) has not been able to detect the printer both before and after changing out the router but the iPhone and iPad have no trouble detecting it and printing to it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes that's right. But the MBP used to work with the printer but doesn't now
Thanks, Chris.

Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says 10.9.3
Great, you're running the latest release.

Can you tell me your printer's make and model, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a HP Photosmart 5524

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

Select "Printers & Scanners"

In the white sidebar to the left of the window, Control-click or right-click in a blank area

Choose "Reset Printing System..." from the available options.

When it has finished, close System Preferences and restart your Mac.

See if you can print now.

If the Printer is not automatically re-added, you may need to return to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and click the "+" button to add it once more.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have done as you said but still can't find the printer. When I click the + button in printer & scanner it doesn't show a printer.
Ok, the printer is wireless, correct? ...and the MBP, iPhone/iPad and printer are all on the same network?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is wireless. When you say network do you mean connected to the same broadband router as they are
Yes. They must each use the same wireless network (connected to same router).

Let's verify all step are completed as appropriate as Mavericks (OS X 10.9) is a bit different than earlier releases.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .

Click Printers & Scaners , and then click the plus sign in the lower left corner of the window.

Under Nearby Printers , do you not see the name of your printer. If your printer is not listed, click Add Printer or Scanner for a full list of printers.

Under Name , click the name of your printer. NOTE:Make sure that the printer kind is Bonjour or Bonjour Multifunction.

Click the Use box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu.

Click Add to add the printer to the queue.
If you are prompted to install any additional software for your printer, click Install , and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I click the + in the corner I get a screen that says add at the top then there are four pics to the top left hand side that say default! fax, IP and windows. Below that is a list screen where I think the printer should be shown but is not. It won't let me click the add button at the bottom. How do you make sure the printer is bonjour or bonjour multifunction? It's still working with iPhone and iPad so does that mean it is?
As long as you are able to still print from the iPhone and the iPad then that sounds like the printer itself is doing it's job to broadcast itself on the network.

Can you please download and run the following tool?

It will collect information about your system for diagnostic purposes. When it is finished collecting data, click "Copy report to clipboard" and paste it back to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

EtreCheck version: 1.9.11 (43) - report generated 13 June 2014 23:53:20 BST

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro8,1

1 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 2 cores

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 3000 - VRAM: 384 MB

System Software:

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65) - Uptime: 0 days 0:42:40

Disk Information:

APPLE HDD HTS547575A9E384 disk0 : (750.16 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 749.3 GB (660.17 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

USB Information:

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Mac App Store and identified developers

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist Support

[invalid] com.mcafee.ssm.ScanFactory.plist

[invalid] com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager.plist

[running] com.mcafee.virusscan.fmpd.plist Support

[loaded] Support

[running] com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon.plist Support

Launch Agents:

[running] com.mcafee.menulet.plist Support

[running] com.mcafee.reporter.plist Support

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist Support

[running] com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper.plist Support

User Login Items:

MenuTab for Facebook

MenuTab Pro for Facebook

Internet Plug-ins:

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: - SDK 10.6 Support

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 11.0.07 - SDK 10.6 Support

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 11.0.07 - SDK 10.6 Support

Flash Player: Version: - SDK 10.6 Outdated! Update

Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.4.1 - SDK 10.6 Support

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.20125.0 - SDK 10.6 Support

SiteAdvisor: Version: 2.0 - SDK 10.5 Support

Safari Extensions:

SiteAdvisor: Version: 2.0

Audio Plug-ins:

BluetoothAudioPlugIn: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.9

AirPlay: Version: 2.0 - SDK 10.9

AppleAVBAudio: Version: 203.2 - SDK 10.9

iSightAudio: Version: 7.7.3 - SDK 10.9

iTunes Plug-ins:

Quartz Composer Visualizer: Version: 1.4 - SDK 10.9

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player Support

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

3% WindowServer

0% fontd

0% MenuTab Pro for Facebook

0% appProtd

Top Processes by Memory:

140 MB MenuTab Pro for Facebook

94 MB

86 MB mds_stores

86 MB VShieldScanner

86 MB Safari

Virtual Memory Information:

1.01 GB Free RAM

1.55 GB Active RAM

461 MB Inactive RAM

1004 MB Wired RAM

273 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

Thanks, Chris.

I think your Mac is having trouble seeing the Printer broadcasts over the network.

I note you appear to have both McAfee Virus Scan and MacKeeper installed. At this point, I'm guessing one is blocking detection.

However first, to make sure it's not a driver issue, download the HP Mavericks driver and install it from this page:

Once it is installed, restart your Mac and see if it detects the printer.

If it does not I recommend uninstalling McAfee and MacKeeper to see if the issue resolves itself.

To remove MacKeeper:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I downloaded the HP mavericks driver and that also can't find the printer. I uninstalled mac keeper as I didn't want this and never knew how to get rid of it. As for mcafee I have always had this on my MBP and for the last year it has been fine working with my printer. I have just renewed the subscription so don't really want to get rid of it. Also why won't my brand new just opened apple airport time machine work with my network. Can this be a connected issue?
Did the McAfee software update itself when you renewed? Any update to security software (which often happens monthly for anti-virus/anit-malware apps) can introduce issues.

Also, do you have the OS X Firewall enabled or disabled? (System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall)

Try this;

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

Now try adding the printer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so firewall was on. I turned it off and then done as you said and now the printer is found and working. But should I have the firewall on?
Great, glad to hear it!

In my experience, if you are running behind a router (as you are) then Firewall is not necessary at home. I keep it turned off myself.

The only time you should need to use it is if you are connecting to a public network somewhere (such as coffee shop, hotel, etc...).