How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pete Your Own Question
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Category: Computer
Satisfied Customers: 19405
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
Type Your Computer Question Here...
Pete is online now

To whom it may concernMy son used my Apple Mac Air-book

Customer Question

To whom it may concern My son used my Apple Mac Air-book and used a password ***** access certain apps and to renew expired apps. Unfortunately he passed away in 2013 and I cannot access his i-phone to renew apps although I use it for daily use, making phone calls and sms services. Same for the laptop. What can I do to cancel his details and to replace it with my own or leave it open as to avoid a repeat of this in future. Your assistance will be appreciated Franklin Fortune Father.

I will sign off and watch my email for the answer.


Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Pete :

Hello Franklin,

Pete :

Sorry for your loss.

Pete :

Pete :

To recover the use of the Air-Book for yourself, see the "How to recover and access..." section, around halfway down the following page:

JACUSTOMER-6t081ij1- :

Thank you it is still sad and unbelievable.

Pete :

Did you get the link to the page on how to recover the account ok

Pete :


JACUSTOMER-6t081ij1- :


JACUSTOMER-6t081ij1- :


Pete :

Pete :

Let me know if that works for you, or if you need anything else.

JACUSTOMER-6t081ij1- :

Hi Pete

Pete :

Hi again

JACUSTOMER-6t081ij1- :

I have access the link, but it does not say much or guide me to my question or provide a solution. I need a step-by-step guide to access the i-phone when it request me to type in the password ***** my son or how to legally bypass it. The same with the Mac computer.

Pete :

Can you see the guide, around halfway down the page?

Pete :

Here it is:

Pete :

Obviously the easiest way to recover and access apps, music and other digital content from Apple devices is to have the Apple ID and Passcode. Failing that if you also inherited the person’s physical computer, iPhone and iPad you may be able to use these to recover the password (as long as they are not locked with a passcode). These steps may help you.

Turn on your relatives Mac/PC or unlock their iPad. If you do not have the person’s computer login password ***** can use the Recover Drive Utilities to Reset the password (see: Changing or Resetting a Password).

  1. Open iTunes (on a Mac) and click on Store and not the email address next to View Account. This is their Apple ID

  2. Open the Mail app and check that you have access to email

  3. If there is no Apple ID click on System Preferences and iCloud and click on the person’s name. This reveals the Apple ID being used for that computer.

  4. Open Safari and enter this URL:

  5. Enter the Apple ID and click NExt

  6. Choose Email Authentication and click Next (if you do not have access to Email you can try Answer Security Questions). These tend to be things like Street grew up on and Birth Date.

  7. Check Mail

  8. You should now receive an Email from Apple with a Reset Now link. Click this to open Safari and have a link to a new password. Fill out the New Password ***** Confirm Password ***** and click Reset Password.

You can now visit and click on Manage Your Apple ID. Enter your Apple ID and Password ***** click on Sign In. Now you can change the name, address and other personal details.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Franklin,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help, or do you need any further assistance with this question?

Let me know,