Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry

I have just downloaded Windows 10 to my laptop but it is impossible

I have just downloaded Windows 10 to my laptop but it is impossible to use because the screen is so dark. Changing Brightness in Settings has no effect
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Can you tell me please the make and model of your computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gateway W6501
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am responding from my PC because the laptop screen is so dark it is almost impossible to use
Can you restart the computer but on the log in screen, do not sign in but hold the shift button then click on the power icon and click restart (still with SHIFT held down) until it has restarted and you are put into a menu.
Then click on Troubleshoot, then advance and choose System Restore
Follow the onscreen steps and perform a restore from the last restore point.
When this has completed, tell me if the brightness has then improved.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By power icon do you mean the laptop power button or something on the screen? - which we can't see. At present it is logging in automatically. To get to the login screen I have to sign out first!
The one on the screen
You will need to sign out if it does it automatically please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the bottom right corner of the screen, I have two icons. One looks like rays beaming towards an asterisk. The other is a plug over a battery. Is the latter the power icon you mean?
It is a circle with a line through it.
Like this one.
Click me to open
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't have that, or the search box. Just the two icons I described.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only place I have an on/off symbol like the you showed me is... on the laptop's on/off switch itself!
Its not the search box, just the power icon I wanted to show youStrange as its on all windows 10 installs, but you can get to the menu another way by powering off the computerThen hold the left SHIFT button and with it held down, turn on the computer and keep tapping F8 which will then get you to the menu
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. We found the power icon when we clicked on the battery/plug icon. So now we are following your initial instructions. ec are in System restore and it is asking for a password ***** this (bob) account. But I have never had one.
You will have had a password ***** it would not request.Can you try to guess it please?Something you would have set when asked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now starting system Restore. There were 2 critical updates (presumably of Windows 10). Not offering a restore to BEFORE the Windows 10 download and install which I did 2 days ago
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Currently restoring files
ok, it may take some time.
Let it complete and let me know if it improves the situation please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Finished restore. Now restarting. Blank black screen.
ok, give it 5 minutes and if no improvement, hold the power button down until it powers off.
Then power it on
Still a black screen?
And can you make out anything at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done that. Yup, still black. Nothing visible.
Can you tell me the make and model of the computer please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now bob welcome screen. Back to black. Now my picture screen, still very dark
ok, the issue is compatibility with the computer and windows 10
You are going to have to undo the upgrade and wait a few months until the next release has been put out that has a bug fix for your computer.
To undo the upgrade, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”
You should see a “Go back to Windows 7″ or “Go back to Windows 8.1″ option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Microsoft will ask you why you want to go back.
Let this complete and it should then operate correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still showing a black screen and a window - I hope it's not reloading Windows 10!
You did the instructions I just gave correct and choose either windows 7 or 8.1
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes we chose windows 7
ok, it should then load this.You finished the process and it restored and restarted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but now ts still downloading someting
ok, let it complete and tell me what then happens please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1410 - still going
what exactly is being said on the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Black screen. trapezoid light blue window and circulating dots
ok, restart the computer and tell me what then happens please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bob welcome screen (as Windows 10) - then black screen - then dark picture screen, with icons - as Windows 7 but darker screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
actually it looks like a Windows 10 screen (with my normal chosen picture)
Doesn;t seem like it undid the windows upgrade.
What was the make and model of the computer Bob?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gateway M series Model No. W6501
ok, your going to have to do a reinstall of windows.
But before we do this, do you have any important data on the computer you would need to save?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing new
ok, power off the computer
Power it on and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery manager.
Follow the onscreen steps and perform a Factory Restore which will do a reinstall of the computer and return it to new, with the original windows.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only got to a blank black screen
It can be tricky to do but attempt it a few times and tell me if you can get to it please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Recovery page
see advanced repair options, or Restart my PC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am now resetting this PC without removing files
ok, Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1540 - 30%
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1550 - 40%
It can take some time to complete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Installing Windows but I don't know which version
ok,. we will have to see when its completed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That looks like Windows 10 to me - with a lot of my icons missing.
This has been a big waste of time - mine and yours
But thanks for trying
I have to go now
ok, but its starting to point to a hardware fault on the computer as it should have put the original one back on which means its not running the recovery correctly.
Is it though functioning correctly?
And yes icons will be missing as this was a reset.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't tell if it is OJKK because the screen is so dark!!!"!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see you gave me a bad rating.
Obviously this is a hardware problem as we have ruled out all other causes for this, yet after I spend all this time going through and ruling everything out, you go an make a complaint about me being rude to you?
How was this the case? Is this really how you rate my service?
With respect, negative ratings only hurt experts here by reflecting negatively and can keep us from assisting other customers. They should be used for when an expert is rude or the information provided was wrong. While youay not like the answer I provided, it was correct, and I stand by it. If you need clarification or additional information about my answer I will be happy to provide it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unable to continue as I am now away for 10 days
There is nothing further, the issue is the video adapter has faulted., and needs to be replaced.
I assumed when I told you yesterday this is why you made the complaint about me to the website, giving me a poor rating (though not sure how I was rude to you to deserve such as rating)