JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

I received a Packard update which I tried to install. I run

I received a Packard Bell update which I tried to install. I run Windows 10 (32 bit). Now my computer just loops with the message "Bad Pool Caller". It winds up to 100%, restarts and gets the same message. I have tried a System Restore but to no effect. The screen changes so fast I cannot catch it at any point. What should I do now?

Hi Helen, sorry to hear your having issues.

What are you trying to do to access the system restore?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The system restore popped up after I pulled the power. Hhowever, it said it was successful but I still get the same loop
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not talking to you from the Packard Bell computer. It will not start and so remote access is not possible
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there? If there is no response, I think I will have to give up.

Hi Helen,

The offers for calls and remote assistance are automated adverts for additional services.

We are a third party firm called Just Answer, and not affiliated with Packard Bell, we do however provide expertise on a range of topics from computers to legal advice.

The fault suggests you may have a memory fault, when you start up the computer there should be a screen for a second or two which will say press Del or press F2 to access BIOS, it may take a few times turning it off and on to see the message but it should appear within first 5 seconds of turning it on.

What key is it asking you to press?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
press del

Ok, start the computer and straight away keeping tapping the delete key on the keyboard until a blue screen loads which will be the BIOS.

From there we need to locate the self test functionality and test the components of the PC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have the BIOS set up utility screen which automatically came on when I pressed the del key.

Great on there what options are displayed, you should be able to use the mouse but if that doesnt work you can use the keyboard arrows to navigate through the options.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The top line reads main advanced power authentication security boot options exit. Under that there is the option set the date and in the box below select screen select item Enter: Select +/-/Space: Change Opt. F7 restore user defaults F8 saver as user DEfault settings (when access level is administrator) F10 Save and Exit set up ESC: Exit

Under advanced what can you see any options for a self test?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my mouse doesn't work and the arrow keys won't let me to up to the top line.

Ok, press the escape (ESC) button, the computer will then restart, half way through the booting of windows 10 before it completes press the restart button, let it restart and half way through booting press the restart button again, then do it once more, and on booting for the 4th time leave it and it should go into auto repair mode.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where is the restart button?

Its normally located next to the power button

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no restart button - next to the power or anywhere else that I can see so I think I would need to press the power button.

In that case yes you need to hold the power button in for around 5 seconds to power it off mid boot

Let me know once you have the recovery/automated repair screen up

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
after pressing the escape button a recovery screen came up with it looks like windows hasn't loaded correctly and then gives me the option of see advanced repair option or restart my PC. Which do I choose?

Right go to advanced

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now the choice is 1. Continue and exit to windows 10 2. Troubleshoot 3. Turn off your PC. Which one?

You want Troubleshoot

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Under troubleshoot there is reset this PC or Advanced options - which one?

Then select Advanced options then Startup Settings finally Restart

When the options show up chose Safe Mode with Networking F5 or 5 to select that.

Let me know what happens when windows then loads.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was advising using the number keys and then gave 9 options but the computer has switched off! What do I do?

Did you selection option 5 as above?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No - it happened too quickly.

Ok then we need to do a full reinstall.

Please follow the instructions as shown on this video here.

I am taking a break, I will be back in a couple of hours, and assist further, if not can pick this up tomorrow AM if that works better for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It ended up on system restore - which said it was successful but still a failure. After my
dinner and a large gin and tonic - any ideas?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
AM is fine - unless I've kicked the thing to death!!

Sorry to hear your still having issues, where did your purchase the PC from and how long have you had it for, as it suggests this must be a hardware fault (rather than a software one).

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thanks for your messages. As I mentioned, I have now bought a new computer and am in the process of getting it set up.regards,Helen

No problem, do let me kow if you need any further assistance setting up the new one Helen.