David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

A Windows 10 update has messed up my laptop. It is stuck

Customer Question

A Windows 10 update has messed up my laptop. It is stuck after first seeing Lenovo it goes round and round attempting repairs but never succeeds.
I have tried everything even Microsoft help (they did try) but they advised reinstalling Windows 10 (and losing everything).
It will not be possible for you to login to the laptop because even I cant log in.
After the repair failure, I get this message:
Log File:C\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt|SrtTrail.txt
Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

My name is David.

When it boots does the computer display a startup repair menu or does it immediately start running a repair?

Also, can you take a picture of the screen as it is attempting repairs and post it here for me to view?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sent you a reply to your question plus five images showing the stages when the laptop boots up.
Have you any advice yet?
thanks, Carol.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, you will not be able to connect because the laptop is not working and cannot get beyond the diagnosis and failure to repair!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It starts running the repair immediately so there is no chance to do anything!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you give me a time by which you can respond to me?
Carol
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

My apologies for the delay. Please try posting the images again as they are not attached to this question thread.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have sent them three times on iPhone but they seemed to stick and not upload. I have logged in on computer and can see them listed. Thanks. Carol
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Thank you - I have them now and am reviewing ...just a moment

Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Ok then next boot the computer and after the automatic repair completes and failes select Advanced Options then select Command Prompt.

On the command prompt run the following commands:
BOOTREC /FIXMBR

and then press Enter.

Next run the following command:
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

and then press Enter. If no errors reboot to test whether or not the issue is resolved.
Otherwise if any errors appear then run the following:
BOOTREC /RebuildBcd

Then reboot and test to see if the computer boots normally.

Please let me know the result.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The first two lines returned a successful message. But when I rebooted it went straight into diagnostic then attempting repair. So I went to command prompt and typed in the last line of text. It said scanning all discs for Windows Installations and this this may take a while but a second later it said successfully scanned - total identified installations 0.What I noticed is the drive says X:It looks like it’s in the wrong part of drive?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Back on pc instead of iPhone. Hope you got this
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Ok then on the command line again, type:

C:

and press Enter to change to drive C:, then run the first two commands again and reboot and test.

If that does not resolve the issue then running the following command on the command line:

chkdsk c: /f /r

and let it scan (the scan will take awhile) then reboot and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It returned the line: the volume does not contain file system. Please make sure all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.So I then tried chkdsk command and it then said: the type of file system is raw and chkdsk is not available for raw drives.It just goes back to the line X:\windows\system32
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Ok then on the command line run the following command and let me know the drives and information listed:

wmic logicaldisk list brief

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’ll send an image in a second
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you get the image?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
C: Drive Type 3
D: Drive type 3
E: Drivetype 5
F: Drivetype 3, freespace(###) ###-#### size*********** volume name PBR_DRV
X: Drivetype 3. Freespace###-##-#### size###-##-#### volume name Boot.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’ve sent the text as well
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Please resend the image.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Second try
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Got it - just a moment....

Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Are there any other storage devices connected to the computer (such as USB drives)? If not then the PBR_DRV is most likely your hard drive.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is encryption by ESET on the drive for data protection for our customers
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

On the entire drive or only document directories?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On entire drive
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is also on entire drive in the event of the laptops being pinched !
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Otherwise they could access the emails
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Ok, however the boot sector should still be readable even though protected. Just a moment...

Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Which ESET software package are you using to encrypt the drive?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Deslock
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Ok, thank you. Full drive encryption software such as ESET's Deslock have their own procedures for fixing the master boot record. Please click on the link below and follow the steps on the web page to fix the master boot record:

click here

Once you complete the steps the drive should boot.

Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you available over the weekend?
I think I will do this tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Carol
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Yes, I will be available over the weekend. Just post a response here when you are ready to resume.

Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried your advice about Deslock. It didnt work, so I called them. They are in the middle of helping me. They said that it was Windows 10 update that caused the problem and I have to de-crypt and then encrypt with a new version of Deslock. However, when I tried as per their instructions - download their iso image doc on to a DVD and then put that in the drive, then switch on it would start the process. But it didnt work. They are not available over the weekend do later this morning I will be ringing them. I may still need your assistance. Thanks for your help. Carol
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I am here if you need further assistance.

Also, what error or issue occurred when you tried to decrypt then encrypt with the ISO they provided?

Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi the issue has now been fixed by Deslock. I had to download an isp file which decrypted the machine. The problem was windows 10 update but deslock now have a patch on their 4.9 version to prevent the problem arising again.
Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

Excellent and thanks for letting me know. I figured after you mentioned Deslock that you would have to download the ISO file to decrypt then re-encrypt the drive.

Best regards,

David.

Expert:  David L replied 4 months ago.

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

Also, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work.
Thanks,
David.