Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have just opened an Excel spreadsheet and have been told

I have just opened an Excel spreadsheet and have been told that it is 'Read Only' as someone else is working on it.
No one else has access to the system or the sheet, no one else is working on it.
How do I get away from this? I wan to use the sheet, not read it!
Thanks for any help with this.

Hi there Anthony and welcome

Are you opening it from a network drive or directly from the Macs hard drive?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
From the Hard drive, no network here.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
still have the problem!

Is it only on this one excel file?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok, go to where the sheet is located, and Command Click it and check if it is read only.

If so, then remove the read only and then try to open it please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That seems to have released it .Thanks

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.