Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I use Excel for Mac V15 and need to enter descriptions in

I use Excel for Mac V15 and need to enter descriptions in one column based on a limited list of about 100 by typing the first few characters of the description. Is there an adding or procedure I can use to achieve this.

Do you have a sample spreadsheet that you could attach here so I may see?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Pete. The yellow shaded fields in the 2nd sheet are where I wish to type the first few characters of the description and then see a list of standard descriptions that further focuses as the number of characters typed increases. I would then use the arrow keys to highlight the text required and right arrow to exit. My list will grow but probably no more than 100 standard entries. The ability to automatically update the list with new descriptions would be great, but if the list is just on a separate sheet that I can edit will suffice.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Pete, Did you get my spreadsheet?

Yes I did, I have been trying out a few different potential solutions, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's OK, no hurry. Just wanted to be sure.

I would have thought autocomplete would have best suited your needs.

When you say combobox, what do you mean by it?

See the dropdown list that I have added to column B in the attached example - I think this is probably close to the best solution that you are going to get:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Pete, I looked up combo box, and it seems to be a multicolumn activity.I tried your example, but I normally start with a blank template where column B has no entries, this makes the list empty. If you put the list in a separate sheet, and point to it as a source, it does fill the list but I am unable to make it work as expected. I need to drill down to the text required with my typing then using the arrows select from the reduced list.crolling through a list is time consuming and could take as long as simply typing there complete description each time then, if the text is not there as an example, I need to allow the new text I have typed to be applied to the cell. I can add the new text to any list after I have completed by sheet.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have learned that just using data validation does not act the same way as autocomplete does. Autocomplete stores in cache any entered values for the active sheet and shows them as I start typing in the empty cell when the letters I type exist at the start of some cached entries. If I have not used a particular String, it does not appear as a suggestion and I am forced to scroll down the drop list.

What about using a separate data validation list which is sorted alphabetically?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried that but as I type in the cell, nothing appears as a suggestion and I am forced to click the drop down and scroll. as per my example2 attached

Unfortunately Excel is not advanced enough to function in the way that you want it to, to jump to a point in the dropdown using the first few letters typed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess the result is that you are unable to assist in this case?

I have assisted as best I can, given then limitations of Excel.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have just discovered that it you insert all the list entries in rows above the the working area of my sheet in the correct column and then hide those rows, it allows the typing focused list to appear. I think this will suffice for me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No need for data validation with this solution.

Ok