This is caused by two things, but reason number one listed below, is the reason 99% of the time. Please read through them. If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to reply. Otherwise, please do not forget to rate my service to you at the top of the page, hopefully I have earned a 5-Star Rating :)
I hope you have a wonderful day,
- Large manufacturers by licenses to put on their computers, so that they ship with Windows ready to go. These devices have a version of Windows that is locked to that specific computer(BIOS lock), and cannot be transferred to another computer, and will not activate on a new computer. This is to prevent people from using Windows sold at a discount to the manufacturer, on a new computer.
- IF there is any chance for you to use it, you NEED to use the key code that is on a sticker on the computer, and will need to be activated by phone. Again, number 1 is the reason most likely, however you can attempt to follow these steps to see if you can activate it.
Click the Start button
2) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
3) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
4) Click the Next button.
5) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok
6) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)
7) Click the Start button
8) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
9) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone