AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 10 yrs of electronics support and software development.
57442719

Dell Latitude with XP now want to use a copy of Vista from

Dell Latitude with XP now want to use a copy of Vista from my old computer. I have the activation key but get the message, "Licence Evaluation failed". Please advise on the best course of action.
Ron Mitson

`

Hi! I'm Eric and I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• Offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept your request for one, but you don't have to.
  • I will keep helping you until you're satisfied, please ask as many follow up questions as you need by replying below.

This is caused by two things, but reason number one listed below, is the reason 99% of the time. Please read through them. If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to reply. Otherwise, please do not forget to rate my service to you at the top of the page, hopefully I have earned a 5-Star Rating :)

I hope you have a wonderful day,
Eric

1. Large manufacturers by licenses to put on their computers, so that they ship with Windows ready to go. These devices have a version of Windows that is locked to that specific computer(BIOS lock), and cannot be transferred to another computer, and will not activate on a new computer. This is to prevent people from using Windows sold at a discount to the manufacturer, on a new computer.
  2. IF there is any chance for you to use it, you NEED to use the key code that is on a sticker on the computer, and will need to be activated by phone. Again, number 1 is the reason most likely, however you can attempt to follow these steps to see if you can activate it.

Click the Start button

2) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4) Click the Next button.

5) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7) Click the Start button

8) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no reponse whenion,please? slui.exe 3 is typed in. Do you have the number for phone activation, please?