JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

I have a Packard model no NAV50 I cannot remember the

I have a Packard Bell model no NAV50
I cannot remember the password & have mislaid the usb flash with the password.
The notebook has been in storage for several years. I have charged it successfully.
Can you help please? I am using my iPad to contact you.***@******.***

Hi Susan, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Do you have any other accounts setup on the laptop in question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. It was orinally owned by my son Kevin Barham, but he has just moved & does not require it now. He cannot remember registering notebook. We have both tried to remember the possible password ***** success. He cannot remember saving a password ***** a flash USB
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
H
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No files
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Sorry, I am a disabled old lady who enjoys using her iPad. I get very muddled so please be patient with me.
I cannot afford to pay any extra so please do not connect me to Secure Remote Assistant or Free Trial. Thank you.

No problem Susan, the free trials and remote assistance are just automated adverts you can discard them.

If you cant recall the password ***** only option available to wipe the machine and reinstall the operating system, this will mean you will lose the data stored on the device.

Do you have the original CD or USB which came with the machine which may be labelled as the 'recovery cd'?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks James.
No, we are sorry but we cannot find the original USB. There is no CD slot, but we do not have a CD anyway. If it is possible to do a factory reset, we will be happy with that.

Ok to confirm do you have the CD which says packard bell recovery CD?

With the computer off, turn it on and as soon as you see it come to life start tapping the F8 key on the keyboard. A menu will appear, let me know what options are listed

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No disc James. There does not seem to be a slot for a disc. We have hunted for User Manual, but have mislaid it.

No problem, let me know what comes up when you press F8 as the machine starts up

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Clicked F8
Full page of text starting with Repair Your Computer

Ok press the enter key, with repair your computer highlighted, and let me know what is shown.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Window is loading files

Ok this may take around 5 minutes it should bring up another menu, let me know the options once it loads.

Unfortunately each model has a different menu, hence asking what options are shown.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
System Recovery
Options
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Select a language currently English (United States)
Keyboard input currently United KingdomWe live in United Kingdom

Ok under system recovery what options do you have?

You should have one which says system restore.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I could not Return so clicked Next
Now a Local User
Command Prompt
User Name
Password

Ok there should be a back button or a home button, if you cant find one switch the machine off, then back on.

Press F8 once more, and go back through the process until you have the option for system recovery, then select system restore and let me know what you have listed under that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for delay.
Followed instructions but keeps coming to
User Name. (Kevin which I cannot change)
Password ( which is the one we have forgotten)

Ok if there isnt an option to do a factory reset then you will need a recovery drive.

Based on the age of the machine you may struggle, however can you tell me the serial number and SNID which should be on the label under the laptop.

Once I have that I can see if you can order a replacement disk

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
F8 again & now back to full page of text for Advance Options
For Windows 7
Highlighted Repair Your ComputerCannot move select choice

Ok switch the laptop off once again and repeat the process of press F8 it suggests its now loaded the recover menu properly

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
S/N : LUBGL0D016003584301601SNID : ***********
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have re started as before with F8Long list of choices starting with Repair Your Computer. This is highlighted but cannot move to another selection which starts with Safe Mode.
I have tried with a mouse & notepad with finger but neither moves the selection.Hope this makes sense!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Found how to move selections. Currently at Directory Services Restore Mode but have not Entered until I hear from you.

Sorry for the delay I have been talking to Packard Bell.

that doesnt sound right, you need to have one which says system restore.

From what you have advised to date it sounds like you need the recovery media (on usb) to reinstall windows.

The recovery USB is not something you can download from Packard Bell directly, they would need to generate it and send it to you.

They charge around £55, as a admin fee. Since they claim the system asks you to create the recovery media when you first use the machine.

Should you like to go down that option then you can order it by calling customer services on 0371(###) ###-####selecting option 1, and tell them you need a recovery USB to reinstall windows as you do not have one. They will ask for the serial number and SNID which you have given me above.

Do let me know if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You have been very helpful & patient. I think we had better stop there & I will order a Recovery USB when possible.
Your assistance is much appreciated & I will be pleased to recommend you.
Sue

No problem Sue, do let me know should you think of anything further.

So I can resolve the case please rate the service using the star rating on this page.