Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

My computer is stuck in BIOS mode everytime it restarts.

Customer Question

My computer is stuck in BIOS mode everytime it restarts. This happens after a sudden shut down. What can I do to enter the start-up screen?
Category: Computer
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 days ago.

Hi Christy, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Do you mean its in the BIOS menu?

Can you advise which version of Windows your running, and what the cause of the sudden shut down is?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It’s windows 7 and I think it was overheating.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It’s just stuck here
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
When I press save and exit it reboots
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Then it comes back to the boot screen
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 days ago.

Ok this time disconnect the keyboard and mouse, manually power down the PC by holding down the power button wait 2-3 seconds they power it back up and let me know it it goes back into BIOS set.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It does the same thing
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

This does point to a faulty motherboard.

You would normally expect a error code, and then prompted to go into setup where it cant detect the boot devices, but as you have shown the storage devices are detected by the BIOS.

Remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard, before doing so remove all power from the PC, the battery is a small button cell, once removed give it 30 seconds then put it back in, and start the machine let me know if the fault is still present.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Do I have to open the CPU?
Expert:  JamesI replied 4 days ago.

You need to open the case of the computer yes, have a look at the computer here - though the video is for HP the process is generic across all brands.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I did take out the battery and assemble back. But it’s the same thing.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 day ago.

Right in that case you have a fault on the motherboard, so your looking at a new motherboard.

How old is the PC?