JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

My computer is stuck in BIOS mode everytime it restarts.

My computer is stuck in BIOS mode everytime it restarts. This happens after a sudden shut down. What can I do to enter the start-up screen?

Hi Christy, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Do you mean its in the BIOS menu?

Can you advise which version of Windows your running, and what the cause of the sudden shut down is?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It’s windows 7 and I think it was overheating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It’s just stuck here
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I press save and exit it reboots
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Then it comes back to the boot screen

Ok this time disconnect the keyboard and mouse, manually power down the PC by holding down the power button wait 2-3 seconds they power it back up and let me know it it goes back into BIOS set.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It does the same thing

This does point to a faulty motherboard.

You would normally expect a error code, and then prompted to go into setup where it cant detect the boot devices, but as you have shown the storage devices are detected by the BIOS.

Remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard, before doing so remove all power from the PC, the battery is a small button cell, once removed give it 30 seconds then put it back in, and start the machine let me know if the fault is still present.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I have to open the CPU?

You need to open the case of the computer yes, have a look at the computer here - though the video is for HP the process is generic across all brands.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did take out the battery and assemble back. But it’s the same thing.

Right in that case you have a fault on the motherboard, so your looking at a new motherboard.

How old is the PC?

Please confirm if you need anything further or if I can resolve the case

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pc is old, like 5 years. In that case, do I need a specialist to fix it? Who or which company do you recommend? I bought it from pcspecialist. What about Currys? How much will they charge?

It doesnt matter the age, any PC repair firm can assist.

Curry's would probably charge more than a local independent firm, whats your postcode and I can recommend a couple of local firms to you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ox38nf
Tekeez on 02920 108650 and Comp Assistance on 01865 451177 both have excellent customer feedback
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try them. Thank you!