Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

I need to know how my home network should be connected. I

Customer Question

I need to know how my home network should be connected. I have a satellite internet connection, configured as so: Satellite dish, connected to modem, connected to Linksys Velop Router in Bridge Mode, connected to unmanaged switch. Connected to the unmanaged switch via Ethernet cables is my Sky Q box and 3 mini boxes. So first, have I configured it correctly? If not, how should it all be connected? I have the Linksys router in the loop so my wireless devices such as phones and iPads can connect to the internet.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 5 months ago.

I look forward to helping you today.

As long as your Modem is setup to operate as a router, then your setup will work with absolutely no problems. In short, yes, that is the correct way to set this up.

Thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The modem doesn't have a router function. It's just a satellite internet modem. That goes into the router, which is in bridge mode, and the router goes into the switch. The modem just has 1 LAN port, no WiFi or router capability.

If you plug a computer directly into the modem, can you get online? Also, what is your IP address on the computer when you plug it into the modem?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have any devices with a LAN port on them, however, the answer is yes. When the tech came out months ago, he connected his computer directly to the modem and was able to get online. From my computer, if I put in 10.10.10.1 I can access the modem

That means that modem is a modem/router, which is good. You may leave the setup as it is. It will work with no problems.

Will that be all for today?