Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

Xhi. I,be a tomtom smart 60/Via626(2012) which can't seem to

Xhi. I,be a tomtom smart 60/Via626(2012) which can't seem to find any satellite signal. Just gone mysteriously wrong! Thanks
JA: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: Tomtom smart 60
JA: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Started a couple of weeks ago. Worked ok. Then failed to get signal and shows " searching (or waiting) for satellite signal.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks , just how to fix it.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your GPS question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When? I thought I was in direct contact with TomTom.

A restart out in the open with a low horizon, and no source of radio frequency interference (e.g. a cb radio, something large in the electrical outstation way or a large generator), and not inside a car, with no signal picked up in 5 minutes from starting up, is a sign that the radio demodulator circuitry in the GPS has gone bad, unfortunately a not uncommon problem.

The TomTom will need either repair or replacement - the radio circuitry is quite delicate and not user-repairable.

Would you be interested in options for repair? though replacing it might be best.

A reset might be tried too, with very slight chances of fixing the problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Might as well try the reset. How do I go about it?

One moment please...

Note: a factory reset will erase everything on your TomTom GPS back to factory settings - it will then need to be updated and have the maps reloaded, before it will be as before.

If you wish to proceed, rather than trying the restart-in-the-open that I recommended, first, you may proceed:

Menu button

Settings (on the right)

System

Reset

select RESET again to confirm

and in the warnings screen, select RESET again... your device will be reset.

(Then when it restarts, be sure to log in again to your TomTom Navigation account: Menu, TomTom Services, login with email and password.)

- What effect does this have? and do you need further help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Russell. I'll try the restart in the open tomorrow and, if that doesn't work I'll follow your instructions with the reset and let you know how I get on. Once again many thanks for your help.

OK! If you're done with the case, please rate my work and my answer, using the five-star interface at the top of the question page... or just in a brief verbal Reply. Thank you! and good luck for tomorrow.