Shaz Yousaf
Shaz Yousaf, Consultant
Experience:  MSc Computer Networks & Security
104442872

I have been told that my appleID has been broken into and

I have been told that my appleID has been broken into and that I should reset my password. I did not even know I had an apple ID !
JA: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?
Customer: I have no idea and don't even know what my password *****
JA: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?
Customer: I am afraid, being of a somewhat advanced age, that I do not know what that tool is
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. Will you allow me to change my password ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can I actually just withdraw from apple ?

Welcome to JustAnswer! I’m Shaz, a professional IT expert. I have over 8 years of experience in the industry with a Master’s Degree in Computer Networks and Security. I will be assisting you today.

Can you confirm how you was notified of this? Was it via email?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Glad to hear that. Can I withdraw from Apple ? If not, can I reset my password ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I do not want to be securely connected

Considering you do not know you had an apple ID i have a feeling the email is junk/malicious. Can you let me know what the sender email address was please?

Please ignore the remote secure offers they are automatically offered by the website. Their is no need for it. If required i will let you know.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The message was signed Apple support and it was sent to my CompuServe email address

Malicious emails can easily pretend to come from a legitimate company. Please forward it to me so i can review it.

***@******.***
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
have just sent it to you

Ok, let me check it over.

Ok, the email is genuine. It suggests iMessege was used on an iMac. Do you own a iMac?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No, I don't

Ok, do you own any apple devices?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not that I am aware of

Ok fine. In that case i would simply ignore the email. The fact that you never created one suggests its been signed up in error. The individual will have limited use as you are the owner of the email address. Once they realize their mistake they will be forced to either change or use another email address.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I hope you are right. I received two messages today - the one I sent you and an identical one that said that I was signed in on the 5th of May. I have a very vague memory that I did perhaps set up an apple account ages ago

I would not worry considering you have no apple devices. To be extra cautious the only thing i would suggest is changing your email account password. Apart from that i would not worry about the notifications.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK. Thank you very much for your help

Your welcome.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.