ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

I have just had a message to say that I have 3 viruses on my

I have just had a message to say that I have 3 viruses on my ipad. The message asked me to download/install a virus protection programme. It said that it came from Apple. Did you send me a message?
JA: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have an Apple iPad Air. ICloud.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has just come up for the first time. I was suspicious!
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The message also said that my battery had been damaged by the virus.

Hi, my name is Chris!

The message that you received was NOT from Apple. This was a scam trying to trick you into downloading software to your computer. And it's entirely possible that the software it was trying to get you to download was itself a virus.

There are a number of scams going around right now that involve pop-ups. Sometimes they will tell you that your computer has a virus or has been hacked and they will have a link for software to download. In other cases there will be a phone number it wants you to call.

Apple does not notify people about viruses on their machine. If you receive messages like this, you'll just want to close them out. If for some reason the message won't let you close it out, then go ahead and just restart your tablet.

There are many scams going around right now so be careful. If you have any other questions on this, just let me know.

NOTE: Before leaving this page, please rate the answer 3 STARS or better at the top of the page so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate and then click the Submit button.