Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Can you help some of my contacts are receiving messages from

Can you help some of my contacts are receiving messages from [email protected] which has my name attached is there anything I can do?
Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: iPhone 6
Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: iPhone 6 not sure what you mean by os
Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only just heard although another contact did mention getting something 2days ago but it had “Bitcoin” within it. Haven’t tried anything yet as don’t know what I can do.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Before you do anything please change your email password ***** you have not. If you need help with changing your password, please Reply and let me know which email service you are using.

Once you change your password ***** hacker/spammer will no longer have access if they still did. They likely got access to the account and got the contacts. Now they are sending from another account but spoofing the email so it appears to come from you. This is a very common issue that happens to many.

This means they are sending email disguised as you but not actually from your account. Read More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

As far as preventing someone from spoofing your email address you cannot. The account that is spamming your contacts will be shut down so this will not go on forever.

The best thing to do is send an email to your contacts letting them know what is going on and not to click links in any suspicious email that appear to come from you since you are being spoofed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I have several email addresses due to work etc, I will change my passwords on the main 3
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for offer but I can chsnge passwords.

Great. If your company has a website or lists your email address publicly online this could be why this happened. It is always a good idea to not put your email address out there but in business, it is sometimes necessary. They use software that scans websites for email addresses and then spoof those to try and trick employees at the company.