Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I have an Imac OSX 10.8.5 and got scam emails demanding

I have an Imac OSX 10.8.5 and got scam emails demanding money naming my email address and with a long out of date password(???).I want to rid my computer of this hacker who seems to be spying on me.
JA: What version of OS X are you running on your iMac?
Customer: 10.8.5
JA: Did the application come with an uninstaller, either on the installation disc or in the application's folder on your Mac?
Customer: No idea.I inherited it from work
JA: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Mac Expert, I'll connect you shortly.
Customer:***@******.***
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please note that it can take a couple of minutes for a reply while I review your response and type out an answer.

This is actually part of a newer scam where they found one of your old (or current) passwords from a data breach with a company and pretend that they have access to your computer/email when in fact, they just made it appear so. The scammer does not have access to your email address and they are just 'spoofing' it to appear that they are sending you an email from yourself. If the password ***** an old one then you do not have to worry at all and you can delete the email without any issues.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.