David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

When I try to sign in to my Gmail email the system asks me

Customer Question

When I try to sign in to my Gmail email the system asks me to register although I am already registered.
JA: Are you logged into your Gmail account on any other devices?
Customer: No and when I try to register it refuses to accept my lgin details as it stetes that they already exist
JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?
Customer: There is a phone but it is my email address that it does not accept - although it has worked perfectly up until today
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 7 months ago.

My name is***** for the trouble.

Are you signing into Gmail through the Gmail app on a mobile device, or through a web browser such as Chrome, Edge or Safari, or using an email app such as Windows Mail or Apple Mail?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I am signing in from my PC
Expert:  David L replied 7 months ago.

Ok thanks.

Are you signing in using a web browser such as Chrome, Edge or Safari?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No thanks. Signing in has been no problem until this morning. If I can't be reconnected to my gmail then I will revert to using my Plusnet email
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am using Safari
Expert:  David L replied 7 months ago.

Ok, thanks.

Since it was working recently, clearing the Safari Internet cache may fix the problem.

Open Safari.

Click on the Safari drop-down menu and select Preferences.

Click the Advanced tab. Select the Show Develop menu in menu bar checkbox and close the Preferences window.

Select the Develop drop-down menu. Click Empty Cache.

Then close and reopen Safari and try accessing your email again.

If that does not work, memory errors in network devices often cause this type of problem. So next power down the router/modem that provides your Internet access and unplug the power cord and remove the battery from the router/modem as well. Wait 3 minutes. Then reinstall the battery if it has one, plug in the power cord on the router/modem and power up the device. Wait for the router/modem to completely start up. Then do the same with your WiFi router (if you have a separate WiFi router rather than a modem that provides both routing and WiFi). Then reboot your computer after the router/modem has completed start up and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks David I will give this a try
Expert:  David L replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome :)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cant see a 'dropdown' menu
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will try the shutdown procedure you suggest. Thanks & have a good day
Expert:  David L replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome and glad I could help.