Andrew Taylor
Andrew Taylor, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  System Engineer
102326245

Just brought brand new 11 home from exeter but my mail

Customer Question

just brought brand new 11 home from exeter but my mail server is not responding
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: 1 and1
JA: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: all three
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: turned off airplane and wifi and back on again
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andrew Taylor replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.
My Name is***** will do my best to help you.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Are you ready to start?
Thanks Again,
Andy

I will do my best to assist you with your problem.

Every so often when you go to refresh your emails from the Mail app in iOS, you may get an error message like the one shown above that reads, “Cannot Get Mail. The mail server imap.gmail.com is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.

The problem can be annoying; sometimes it may be an issue with your email settings, and sometimes it may just be a hiccup with the email server or internet connection you have established.

In this tutorial, we’ll go over some troubleshooting steps to get your email inbox to refresh as you would expect it to.

Why do these errors occur?

Most of the time when an email inbox that normally works just fine experiences an issue where it displays the “Cannot Get Mail” error message, it’s going to be related to a hiccup in the internet connection or email server. In these cases, the fix is simply worked around with persistence.

In some scenarios, the problem can be related to your email settings, and some more in-depth troubleshooting may be required. In either case, we’ll go over a number of possible troubleshooting steps below so you can get your email account working again.

Possible fixes to the problem

We’ll start with the easiest and work our way down to the most complicated. We suggest starting small and working your way down the list so you don’t exert more energy than necessary to solve the problem with your email refreshing. Here are some things you can try:

Send an email from the problematic inbox

What seems to work best for me when an inbox will display that error message is to send an email from that account. Because the issue is that Mail can’t fetch new emails, but it certainly can send new ones created by you. In this case, compose a new email and if you have several inboxes, make sure to send the email from the one giving you trouble. I typically send an email to myself with “Test” as the subject line.

In 99% of cases, this actually fixes the issue, albeit temporarily, but I find it to be the least invasive workaround.

Try refreshing the inbox again

Sometimes the problem can be due to a hiccup in your internet connection or your connection to the server. This is a best-case scenario, and is easily worked around by simply pulling down in your inbox to refresh your content.

Force-quit the Mail app

Sometimes the problem could be related to a glitch in the Mail app itself. In this instance, simply open the App Switcher, slide up on the Mail card, and go to the Home screen to re-launch the Mail app yet again so it can try to refresh your email inbox.

Check your internet connection

Do you have a strong enough cellular or Wi-Fi signal? If your signal is too weak, or you’re not connected at all, then this could be the source of your error message while trying to refresh your email inbox. Try getting closer to a wireless signal and see if the inbox refresh works afterwards.

Remove and re-add the troublesome email account

In some cases, the incoming and outgoing server information for your email account may no longer be accepted by the email server. Try removing your email account and re-adding it so that the Mail app can auto-configure the proper settings to refresh your email inbox.

Here are the steps:

1) Launch the Settings app and open the Accounts & Passwords preferences cell.

2) Open the email account you’re having issues with, and in the following pane, tap on the red Delete Account button.

After you’ve removed the account, you’ll now want to try and re-add it to your Mail app again. To do that, follow these steps:

1) Launch the Settings app and, once again, open the Accounts & Passwords preferences cell.

2) This time, tap on the Add Account button.

3) Choose from the list of email providers so you can sign in to your email provider to receive emails yet again.

4) Log in with your username and password ***** you’re prompted:

It has been my pleasure to help you today, please let me know If you need any other assistance.
Thanks Again,
Andy