Cory
Cory, Computer Technician
Experience:  Computer Repair Technician 5+ Years
8685120

I've got an email saying they've hacked into my laptop

Hi I've got an email saying they've hacked into my laptop camera and are now trying to blackmail me
JA: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?
Customer: The lap top is HP with intel Pentium and windows.
JA: What have you tried so far with your HP? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No the email says that he put malware via a porn website which allowed access to the camera whilst I was watching this web site silly I know
JA: The Email Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: In the blackmail email he says he has split screen which shows me watching the porn and unless I send him $1,900 via bitcoin he will put this video out to all my contacts how do I stop this I don't have $1,900

Welcome, I am Cory.

I am sorry you are having this issue.

Did you give anyone access to your camera?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they say they accessed it by putting malware on to a porn website they are now trying to blackmail me saying that unless I pay them $1,900 via bitcoin they will show split screen footage of me watching porn

Usually this is common if you let someone access your computer or webcam.

Honestly, it sounds like a scam to me, but there are many ways to deep fake and make it look like someone is doing something they aren't really.

If it is a well known site, I'd say the possibility of it being true are slim.

Deep fakes are done with celebrities all the time.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Are you able to connect remotely?