Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

My line speed should be 10mbs to 25 mbs it is 2mbs. my D

Customer Question

my line speed should be 10mbs to 25 mbs it is 2mbs. my D link to my talktalk tv box has failed. one od the adapters is faulty.
JA: What's the model of your D-Link router?
Customer: DHP-300AV
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all ethernet connections, put both D links in sockets next to each other. Tried resets on both but only one lights up
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: my internet line speed is way below what it should be.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac?
  2. How many devices are connected to your ISP's router?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10. Devices are Computer, cctv, mobile phone, and should be talktalk tv box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I expect talktalk to solve the problem or I shall look for another isp
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to disconnect all of the devices, and just directly connect a computer, and then test the speed of the internet connection through the link below?

speedtest.net

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The est results were from a Talktalk test and not from my computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my current problem is the failure of the link to my talktalk.tv box. When I tested the D Link boxes 1 box failed to light up, not even showing power.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. If the problem is with regards ***** ***** internet speed, the only way you can test it better, yes, even from your end -- not just from talktalk, is to isolate all other devices, and just connect a computer through the provided ISP router, then test the browsing speed using online test tool like speedtest.net. If your generated speed in the test is too far below the subscribed speed, then there is an issue with your account or internet line. Your ISP (Talktalk) needs to check it from their end or might need to deploy a technician onsite to fix the problem.

However, if the speed of the connection is within your subscribed bandwidth in the isolation test that I described, and that the problem only happens when all of your devices are connected, then this means that there is no problem with your internet speed. Those other devices are just sharing the subscribed bandwidth/speed and in effect, your connection will become slower.

Now, regarding that TV box problem, if the led indicators are not lit especially the power led indicator, it means that the device is faulty and it needs to be replaced. Please contact your ISP for further online and/or onsite testing and possible replacement.

Thank you and I hope that helped.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I've been trying to speak to talktalk to tell them that the D Link is faulty but all I get is an automated system that doesn't ask me the appropriate questions and doesn't understand when I explain the problem. Useless!!!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh, sorry to hear that. Please try to log your report online through their website.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I managed to make contact and an engineer is coming tomorrow.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds perfect!!! Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Jess