Ameen Khan
Ameen Khan,
Experience:  Senior IT Support Specialist at Brookfield Asset Management
101830517

Just bought a 2008 3-Series (E93) vert. It is a September

Customer Question

Hi, just bought a 2008 3-Series (E93) vert. It is a September 2008 model with factory-fitted CIC Idrive (checked on buildsheet)- must be one of the first.
Want to do a software update, but under "Settings" there is no "Software Update" option. Spoke to the local BMW Garage and they said just put your USB stick (with the update - UPD01008.bin) into the centre armrest, switch on the ignition and it will automatically upload.
No it doesn't.Have also tried putting the USB in after switching on the ignition and also tried the same two options with the glovebox USB port.
The system recognises that there is a USB in place but thinks it is music by "unknown artist". and tries to play it!.The USB is FAT23 formatted.
I'm usually quite good with electronics but getting nowhere here.
Any help and advice gratefully received.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: When did you last update your software?
Customer: You mean on the car or the PC?
JA: The Software Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know how to upload the update to my car, thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ameen Khan replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Ameen and I'll be assisting you today. You have reached JustAnswer, an online question and answer company

Please note when the offer for Secure Remote Assistance appears, that is NOT REQUIRED (But Helpful)

I am sorry you are having this concern, I will do my best to help you today.

To answer your question ->

It wont automatically detect it, you have to go to the Settings and then choose the Firmware update file from the Storage/USB media option

-----

I hope my answer was helpful to you and If you would like more assistance, feel free to message me back. I am here to help you. Kindly use the stars at the top of the page to rate my service with you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you actually know about BMW iDrive?

Yes i do, you have to go under Settings, then software update with the car turned on to start the process

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The point is that my car does not have the “Software Update” option under “Settings”.

You said the console thinks its music, ensure that the Zipped files that you donwloaded are unzipped and expanded out of the folder and then it will see the files

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Already done that. There were 3. Two pdf and the .bin file. Just copied the .bin file to the USB to download

You need to place the Zip in the USB and then extract all, leaving all files intact as a first step

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I’ll give that a go. Once unzipped should I leave the pdf files as they are or delete them?

Do not delete anything, the whole package should be retained

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK- thanks- I'll try that- and once it has stopped raining try and upload to the iDrive again.
BTW can you stop the SMS messages to my landline? I didn't ask for this option and didn't put in a number.

Okay, You're welcome
Sorry i don't have any control over the SMS to landline. I will stop messaging to that will stop sending the SMS

--

Hope that helps you out today, Kindly use the stars at the top of the page to rate my service with you. Thank you

If needed, feel free to message me back. I am here to help you. Pleasure assisting you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I understand about the SMS- not something you can control.
Unzipped file direct into USB. Still doesn't upload - same issue trys to play it as music!

To clarify, your USB is empty and just has the files?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
New USB FAT32 format.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don’t think you can help. And I’m getting irritated with all the SMS calls. We’ll call it a day. Thanks.

Try NTFS format

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car is a 2008 model. It specifically uses FAT32 says so on the PDF.
No more advice, please.

Ok