Anikesh G
Anikesh G,
Experience:  SAP Customer Relationship Management Consultant at Wipro Technologies
108948392

I bought a new HP ENVY 360 i January 2020 and have just

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I bought a new HP ENVY 360 i January 2020 and have just noticed that when the mains cable is connected to charge the battery, the small black transformer (??) on the cable gets very hot. It is now so hot I can only hold it for a few seconds. Is this normal. I've never had this problem with previous pc's.
JA: What device or product does this involve?
Customer: It's a HP ENVY 360 pc.
JA: What HP model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not sure how long, I've only just noticed it. I don't really know what to try.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Computer
Expert:  Anikesh G replied 19 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer tech support, I'm expert Ashu. I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I look forward to helping you. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

When a laptop is plugged in and turned on, you will notice the adapter may be warm to the touch. A relatively warm power adapter is normal, especially when the laptop is in use while the battery is charging.

However, if the adapter is quite hot, enough that it could hurt your hand after touching it for a few seconds, there could be a serious issue.

The first thing to check is whether or not the laptop battery is gaining any charge with the adapter plugged into an outlet. If it is, then the issue is most likely with the adapter itself. If the battery is not charging, there could be an issue with the power connection to the laptop. The adapter may still be at fault, as well.

Also, check the laptop end of the adapter cord for any sign of damage, such as a bent pin or bend/break marks indicating connector stress. If you notice any damage, replace the adapter or have the laptop repaired.

If you notice the adapter is extremely hot, turn off your computer and unplug it from the wall outlet. Once the adapter has cooled off, plug it back in and turn on the laptop. Monitor the temperature of the adapter. If it becomes hot again, take the laptop and power adapter to a computer repair shop and have the technicians check it.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The adapter is actually too hot to hold for more than a few seconds. The battery does take charge when connected and I cannot see any damage to the cable or plug. The laptop and cable are only 6 month old and will still be covered by a guarantee so will HP carry out any repair??. I've had a few laptops in the past and never had one with an adapter that gets so hot.
Expert:  Anikesh G replied 19 days ago.

If you notice the adapter is extremely hot, turn off your computer and unplug it from the wall outlet. Once the adapter has cooled off, plug it back in and turn on the laptop. Monitor the temperature of the adapter. If it becomes hot again, take the laptop and power adapter to an HP Service center and have the technicians check it.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No thanks. I'm not prepared to pay for a repair to a laptop that is still under guarantee
Expert:  Anikesh G replied 19 days ago.

You may ignore the automated pop-up message that you see on your screen. It is completely optional.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ok, so what do you think the problem is??
Expert:  Anikesh G replied 19 days ago.